Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

417YB Flies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 417YB Flies!

The first flight of my new LSA has happened! As always, there is nothing quite like flying something that you have built for the first time! All of you who have flown your projects know what I am talking about! For those who haven’t, it will be well worth it when you get to do it…just hang in there!
    Just like the first flights of my two previous Bearhawks (4-place and Patrol) I flew from my 1300 ft grass strip at my home.
    Some early first impressions: The LSA is a real sweet aircraft! Very docile and easy to fly! The tail came up almost immediately, and liftoff was couple of hundred feet…would have lifted off sooner I think, but elevator trim or stabilizer angle of incidence was giving me some stronger than usual nose down input…I think I need to adjust the stabilizer some to correct this. The little 0-200 was sounding real good and smooth at 2600 with the Catto 74 X 40 prop…seeing 110 indicated. Got up to 2850 in full power, level flight… Just some early impressions…only flew 30 min. or so. Oil pressure takes some getting used to on the Continentals…40 lbs in cruise… used to seeing 80 on the Lycomings! The oil pressure pickup on the Continentals is at the very end of the oil circuit, thus this is the lowest pressure in the engine. If the oil pressure could be taken at the oil screen I am thinking there would be higher pressure there. Oil temp got up to 180 deg…cylinder temp 312 deg. Flew straight and level, but don’t we all say that on the first flight…lol. Sometimes it takes a while to notice the little things that aren’t just quite right ya know…we’ll see.

Here are a couple of pictures taken of my Patrol and the LSA just before the first flight

LSA and Patrol.jpgLSA 1st flight.jpg

Comment

Congratulations Collin! This is so exciting! Enjoy the fruits of all that labor and keep us informed.

Bill

Comment

Very exciting times! Enjoy every minute!

P.S. Great colour scheme by the way

Comment

Congratulations Collin. Very exciting. Mark

Comment

Great, so excited for you, enjoy and be safe.

Comment

A big WOOHOO and YEEHAW!!!! Congrats and enjoy every minute.

Comment

Awesome! Congratulations on all the hard work paying off.

Comment

Collin, congratulations on your now-flying LSA! That is VERY cool! I cannot imagine building a 4-place, a Patrol, AND an LSA! And your LSA looks great! Have fun flying her! (It is "her", right?)
                  Jim Parker
                  Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                  RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

That's great news Collin! Congratulations! I guess I take the baton hand off from you - I'm moving my LSA wings into my garage today to finally get started on my LSA project. You're an inspiration :-)
                    Wayne Massey - Central Florida
                    BH733
                    LSA23
                    http://www.mykitlog.com/wlmassey

Comment

Congratulations, Collin! I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the LSA after you have a few hours on it. Mine certainly flies better than a Cub, and I like Cubs. If you have any trim issues please post them. I got a lot of useful info by doing that. Have fun! Bob Way

Comment

Congratulations Collin, I envy you!!!

Comment

Congratulations!! Can't wait till I get to experience that first flight feeling. Beautiful planes.

Comment

Just a little update on the LSA. Really having a ball flying this plane! It is definitily a fun airplane! Not as fast as the Patrol or 4-place but a good plane to just enjoy...low and slow as they say! With the stock 0-200 and the 74X40 Catto prop I am seeing 105 mph @ 2600 rpm. I had a slight nose down trim issue at first, but a small stabilizer adjustment cured that. I think that a little weight in the back seat may have cured that also, but since most of my flying will be solo, I made the adjustment to the stablizer.

The LSA is a very easy plane to fly. Landings are very short, reminds me of the 7-AC Champs I used to fly...slipping to a landing is fun...and necessary unless you plan on a 3 mile final! I had some oil temp issues at first. I know some others have had issues as well...should have listened... Flying over 30 min or so, I would see oil temps close to 230 deg! So I went ahead and added an oil cooler. I used the oil cooler block from Steve's Aircraft...very slick, and btw, he is back to selling them again. Posting a pic of the installation. More to come! Collin ​

Comment

Congrats Collin a well deserved out come for all your hard work!!

Comment

Working...
                              X