Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LSA Engine Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSA Engine Options

I saw the article about Wayne W. working with Bob to develop an engine mount for a Corvair Engine. Bob used a 200. What are other possible engine options being considered? Is it offensive to anyone to suggest a Rotax 912?

Bob has sid that a Rotax would be a viable option for the LSA. Basically anything that produces about 100 HP is fine.
    Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
    Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
    http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

Eric, Thanks for the reply. Someone here locally has a nice Corvair for sale that I was considering as an option, but it's hard to argue with 100 hp and 40 pounds less than the 200 on paper. I'm sure there would be some CG issues to be addressed.

I noticed that you are not very far from my location. I hope we can meet soon to discuss your Bearhawk build.

Ray J. Pierce - Raceland, LA

Comment

Anytime you are in the area, give me a call. Respond to me via private message and will give you my cell number.

Comment

Eric, I suggest any thoughts of an engine with less weight than a 0-200 be carefully considered as I think the weight and balance will be way off on the LSA. I've calculated the numbers and even the 0-200 may be marginal as presently configured. Thanks Stinger

Comment

I wonder what Barrow's thoughts on this are.
            I seem to recall not long ago he traveled to a LSA builder by the name of Rollie's shop who was going to use a Corvair engine in a quick build LSA.
            Barrows went to check out a factory built fuselage and at the same time Corvair guru Wynn was meeting him there to take measurements for an engine mount.
            John Massaro
            Plans Building LSA - 091
            Arizona

Comment

I know Bob tends to adust the engine position and cowling length to get the CG correct. Within limits you can account for lighter engines by positioning the engine further forward when you build your engine mount. Of course you would need to calculate how much is needed, but Bob would probably be willing to assist you with caculating that.

Comment

There are a few really light european engines coming on the market in addition to the Rotax. Couldn't one use a small header tank to help with w&b if needed rather than extending the engine farther forward?

Comment

I am seriously looking into the corvair

Comment

Ditto here on the Corvair engine.
                  John Massaro
                  Plans Building LSA - 091
                  Arizona

Comment

I think a Corvair would be the cat's ass, love the sound and the mount is already designed. The only one you'll 'offend' with the Rotax is Bob

Comment

William Wynn sells the mounts for a little above $500.00. I just ordered my corvair conversion manual. I have two corvair cores to work with.

plans # 11

Comment

Let us know how the build goes.

Comment

I am about 1/3 into the corvair build

Comment

Any updates on this?

Has anyone explored using a Rotax further?

How is the Corvair coming along?

Comment

Working...
                            X