Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

540 Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 540 Patrol

Anyone trying to fit a lycoming 540 in the Patrol yet !!

Just buy a helicopter and get it over with.😉
    David Edgemon RV-9A N42DE flying RV-8 N48DE flying Patrol #232 N553DE in progress ! Plans built.

Comment

To many moving parts.

Comment

Why? 4 cyl stroker engine...

Comment

300hp !!!!!

Comment

WAAAAAAYYYY heavy

Comment

409 with low compression. Turbocharged...water/alcohol injection.... Over kill...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

From a STOL perspective:

The 4-pl machine already takes off faster than it needs to, with power:weight of 260:1500 empty. That's about the same ratio as a 180hp engine in the Patrol.

Slower stall speed / shorter stopping distance would be the best improvement to either of the designs... IMHO

Extra weight would be counter-productive to the design, in that regard.
                Last edited by Battson; 04-16-2015, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Hatcher may have the biggest Patrol engine so far. I haven't ridden with him yet, but I gather that reaching VNE in level flight is a real concern, and that's with HP in the low 200s.

Comment

That's 140kts/165mph. I wonder why the Patrol isn't more coveted by the experimental Super Cub community.

The Texas STOL Round-up competition, and Valdez should expand their contest beyond the Takeoff and Landing competition. It would be interesting to include a static pull contest (with Prop and Engine reps their showing off their products) and a two cross country events, one that demonstrats an aircrafts speed (an air race) and a Navigation Event that proves a designs efficiency (flown over a predetermined course at a set speed, like 100 mph, and measuring each aircrafts fuel consumption while judging a pilots ability to accurately hit course turn points at set times.)

Might as well add a Take-off and Landing with 300 pounds of Ballast.
                    Brooks Cone
                    Southeast Michigan
                    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
                      That's 140kts/165mph. I wonder why the Patrol isn't more coveted by the experimental Super Cub community..
                      I think the answer is contained within the question.

Comment

The Texas STOL Round-up competition, and Valdez should expand their contest beyond the Takeoff and Landing competition. It would be interesting to include a static pull contest (with Prop and Engine reps their showing off their products) and a two cross country events, one that demonstrats an aircrafts speed (an air race) and a Navigation Event that proves a designs efficiency (flown over a predetermined course at a set speed, like 100 mph, and measuring each aircrafts fuel consumption while judging a pilots ability to accurately hit course turn points at set times.)
                        Some "Cubs" can't maintain 100 mph, and for most of them, it's not an ideal "efficiency" cruising speed... But still an interesting concept, if modified to just evaluate "most efficient" in terms of mpg (with or without speed factored in somehow).
                        Jim Parker
                        Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                        RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

That's 140kts/165mph. I wonder why the Patrol isn't more coveted by the experimental Super Cub community.

Might as well add a Take-off and Landing with 300 pounds of Ballast.
                          The Valdez competition puts all experimental aircraft in the same category, so it's dominated by purpose built aircraft these days. Nitros injected monsters with oversized wings, flaps and ridiculous long landing gear. Plus, the cub isn't so much about performance anymore, it's more of a cult following. If you suggest that anything might be a better STOL bush plane, you're obviously an idiot or crazy.

Coincidently, the Bush Class at Valdez originally did have a round with 300lbs of cargo, in addition to the empty rounds. I don't know if they still do that.
                          Phil Schaefer
                          Patrol #073
                          Working on Spars

Comment

Working...
                          X