Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tail Wheel vs Skid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail Wheel vs Skid

Because it's highly unlikely my Patrol will ever see a paved runway in my lifetime, I'm contemplating a tail skid instead of a tail wheel. When I was much younger I rode in a E-2 Cub out of a farm field near home. The owner flew the plane for many years and took all the kids in the town I grew up in up for rides for free. It was equipped with a tail skid, no brakes and best of all, a single bladed prop. Up until the 40's many planes flew with off airport with skids and I suspect there is a lot of design info. If mounted on a stinger rod, I could convert back to a tailwheel with a minimum of work. Just curious if anyone else has considered a skid. Let the hazing begin.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

LOL,,,,Gerry,, that would be like putting wooden wheels on a Jaguar. I would say that if you want to get that basic, get yourself an E-2 Cub and save yourself a pile of trouble and cash. 15min of circuits should do the trick to realize how much of a piece of crap it is.I’m guessing your kidding here so I’ll stop now.

Comment

I considered a skid and mentioned it on another forum. I was laughed off the block. Basic response was “it’s not 1910 anymore.” If you think a skid will work for you then I say do it. However, if you are going to land at a paved airport even a few times a year I think a tailwheel will be worth having.

I’m based at a paved airport so...no skid.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

What is wrong with wooden wheels on a Jag?

Comment

I have considered it, Gerry, but want someone else to try it out first. A piece of HDPE secured to the bottom might be a useful sacrificial surface for infrequent but necessary excursions onto pavement.

I wonder if the weight of the Patrol's tail might not make a tailwheel very desirable for moving around by hand on the ground, though a small dolly might be adequate substitute. If you try it out, we might better understand why the industry went from skids to wheels, but I encourage you to go for it.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I've fashioned a 2x4 into a tail skid once to get back to civilization after the spring broke. It was like having a boat anchor back there while taxiing vs the wide wheel. I had to load the airplane as forward CG as I could to get the tail to fly immediately on takeoff.
            I cannot imagine why you would want to deal with that all that time.

Comment

Surely the improved steering, cushioning, wear life, crosswind control, flexibility to go anywhere you like, and ramp-credibility mean a tailwheel is worth having.

Comment

I was hoping to stimulate a little discussion on this corner of the forum and it looks like I succeeded. I was beginning to think the Patrol builders were hiding out during build season. Some notable aircraft equipped with skids, the Sprit of St Louis, the prototype Spitfire and more then a few Pietenpols. My plane will be on floats the majority of the time. The rest of the time on grass. I love the elegant simplicity of a skid but practicality rules out. Perhaps after a few years and some time in the plane I'll give the skid a try.
                Gerry
                Patrol #30

Comment

The Spirit of St Louis was designed for one thing - flying one long flight. The prototype Spit was a development aircraft. For them, a skid made sense, or was light and expeditious.

FWIW a lot of airliners have tailskids, or retractable tailskids. They are meant for "one time use only". For them, it also makes sense as they are "utilized" once every, I don't know, 10,000 flights? So far, I haven't used one. Maybe next week.

Comment

Working...
                  X