Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs: Buy or build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribs: Buy or build?

I'm looking at getting a nice bonus at work next week and it'll cover buying the wing ribs from Mark. It seems like building the ribs is the big hangup for many builders, so I'm thinking just buying them all done would save me significant time. Good idea? Bad? Why? Please help me make a decision.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/fastfox23
    Patrol plans #398

Bought the rib and spar kit plus a few odds and ends over the years. Hate making ribs. Never looked back. Related my reasoning to a near by hard core 4 place scratch builder and a year later he received the rib and spar kit which he says shaved off a year of building. If you enjoy building ribs, have at her. If you don’t then fast forward your build and order a set.

Comment

I would buy, but if you decide to build I have most of the tooiing for the ribs that I will lend you. The form blocks and router fixtures are very accurate.
      Gerry
      Patrol #30

Comment

Reckon it depends on how much your time is worth. Can’t go wrong with that kit. For me, ribs were fun. The spar is where most get hung up and stall, myself included. Any head start is a good thing
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• Russellmn
          Russellmn commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe I have a local metal shop that can bend the spars for me. I think their press brake is about 12' and they have many different dies for it, just need to call them and see what radius they can do...

I just got some from Mark last month. They look great,. No regrets

Comment

If it's a question of whether or not you would thoroughly enjoy the process, borrow someone's equipment and try making a couple.

If it's a question of money, buy them from Mark. Yes the initial cost is more, but I could have shaved years off my build by getting a part time job and saving up for the kit.

Comment

As the other guys said how valuable is your time to you? Mark sells a great kit with all the spars and ribs for the wings and the ailerons.

Comment

Just jumped in and bought the spar web and rib package. Talked to Mark the other day, he has the ribs on hand, but the spar webs will have to come from the factory...
              https://www.youtube.com/user/fastfox23
              Patrol plans #398

Comment

• rodsmith
                rodsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                You will be very happy with that investment.

• Russellmn
                Russellmn commented
                Editing a comment
                I think so, hopefully will have the wings done this year. I'm gonna try to have the cash on hand to buy the quick build fuselage...
            Working...
            X