Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential donor planes for Patrol engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential donor planes for Patrol engine?

I would love to have an IO-375 with horizontal cold air induction built for me by Aerosport Power, since I know them and they are nearby. That may not be possible if the economy doesn’t improve though so I must at least consider used engines. I have time and I’m thinking I should start looking for one out of a plane which has been hailed out, hit by a truck, or suffered other severe airframe damage. I’m set on a constant speed O-360, FI or carb.

Candidates I can think of are: Cessna Cutlass RG, Grumman Tiger (fixed pitch though☹️) Cherokee180 (also FP), Comanche 180, twin Comanche 180, Seminole, Duchess, fixed gear cardinal maybe, some re-engined 172s, Supercub, Husky. Can anyone add to my list? Also are there any to watch out for due to weird carburetor or something? Thanks.

Are you wanting to rebuild it for the learning experience, or are you thinking you will save money vs having Bob build it for you? This is pretty mich his business model, finding donor engines and rebuilding them. He knows which ones work and he has contacts for finding them.

But answering your question, I would say you want to watch out for the dreaded dual magneto on a single drive. Or have a plan for how to replace it during the rebuild.

Comment

Yes, I understand there are a few single drive O-360 variants out there and I agree they are to be avoided. Thanks for the reminder.

No, I’m not planning to rebuild an engine myself. I have neither the skill nor the interest. I need either a half-time engine that I can have reasonable confidence in (not easy, I know) or one which has been built/rebuilt by someone like Bob or Aerosport. I will definitely give Bob a call and see what he can do. I’m on the other side of the continent though.

Comment

• svyolo
        svyolo commented
        Editing a comment
        I would normally go that route as well. But for me, I have never been well connected to any local GA community.
        I figured because of that, I would end up buying the engine that everyone else for 500 miles knew was bad.
        Bob makes a deal that is hard to say no too.

• rodsmith
        rodsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        Even with shipping, Bob may be the best deal on an overhauled engine. I was really lucky to have an A&P with 25 years experience building engines at Western Skyways join our EAA chapter. He let me help in the build, probably slowed him down but I feel really good about the engine.

Unless you pull the engine running off an airplane that is being parted for some economics reason, you should plan on it being rebuilt.

In that look for something with a really expensive AD like a spar and target those with 360s.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a good used engine in my mind. Most people don't fly 2000 hrs too fast so a mid time makes good sense if money is an object.

ebay and barnstormers are good places to look. I would be looking for airplanes that were being flown regularly and got wrecked in a windstorm, found corrosion that can't be fixed, hail damage beyond repair, hangar collapsed, upgrading to 250hp etc.

I think some mooneys had the 180. Also look out for homebuilts. Van's, cubcrafters etc. They get wrecked too.

Be patient. They do come up once in awhile.

Comment

I purchased a mid-time engine for my RV. One place to search is Wentworrth Aircraft Salvage and Texas Air Salvage, but I believe I would rebuild it anyway. Not sure how that cost compares to a Barrows engine.
          Scott Ahrens
          Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

I bought an engine as a core from one of the salvage places. They advertised it as a core and it was past TBO. The logs were good, it had flown about 2400 hours since factory reman in about 7 years so I was thinking I might be able to run it for a bit before rebuilding it. I decided to just go ahead and overhaul it before ever running it and I was glad I did. From the time the plane was wrecked (no prop strike) until the insurance released it for salvage was so long that all the cylinders were completely rusted inside. So just one more thing to watch for, how long has the engine sat before the plane was parted out and how was it stored. I was thinking with 2400 hours in 7 years on a Lycoming, it might be good for at least another 500, and it probably would have been when it stopped flying - just not by the time I received the engine. Of course I have no idea how the engine was stored prior to me getting it.
            Rollie VanDorn
            Findlay, OH
            Patrol Quick Build

Comment

That’s a very common story. The numbers become quite meaningless once the plane stops flying very regularly.

Conversely, if I could find a suitable model of engine which was new or reman when it went into a plane, and if it flew 1000 hours in say, 5 years, and if I knew that it had been well-maintained and had not had a prop strike, but had suffered a bad hail event, or a snowplow chopped off the tail, then I would seriously consider buying that engine. I’m thinking that if I could cast my net wide enough (by knowing which donors are suitable), and look long enough (I’m just finishing the first wing and have barely begun the fuse so I have some time) well then maybe the goddess of homebuilding might smile benignly upon me and bring such an engine to my notice.

Comment

Everything in building airplanes always takes longer than planned. If you buy what is supposed to be a runner and its going to sit while you build take it apart. I did that with the O-320 I have for my Patrol and it looked good for 1500TT . Probably not something most builders want to do but I can guarantee that nothing has any corrosion and I know exactly what I bought. Many salvage vendors only cover serviceable crank, cases and cylinders for 30 to 90 days so that almost forces your hand to either hang it and run it or disassemble to have a look. All opinion, your rate of climb may vary.

Comment

Good points. It’s kind of beyond my ability to do confidently however. I’m sure you’re right and that would be the ideal way to manage the issues.

Comment

One thing I have never seen anywhere is why not just fill the entire engine with the cheapest motor oil you can find. Crankcase, cylinders, everything. Save it and if the engine ever has to sit again, fill it again.

Comment

• zkelley2
                      zkelley2 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's more or less what the lycoming SB on long term storage says to do.
                  Working...
                  X