Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wing Tips - Noodling on Flush Mount Approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing Tips - Noodling on Flush Mount Approach

Seems like reversing the tip rib flanges back to the rear spar (tip closeout aft of the spar permanently attached to 'glass) and stretch-forming an outward-facing offset mounting flange would allow a flush (no 'glass overlap) tip mount. Anyone go that direction to try to avoid the usual wave-like appearance of the overlap mounting approach? No real structural impacts beyond trimming the very end of the spar flanges back to flush with the now-inboard-facing rib flange, which would seem to have no impact given the continuous skin there and fore and aft brackets. Beyond that, just additional weight as far as I can see, which might be offset in the tip construction (CF and a Divinycel partial doubler just outboard the mounting flange for shape retention).

My build buddy already eliminated the double ribs inboard on his Patrol in favor of an inboard-facing stretch-formed flange, so fab and fitment is no issue. Re: that mod, Bob suggested stiffeners were needed on both sides of that single rib (or use a stiffer bulb-section angle, which was what Carlo did), but not an issue for the wing tip as far as I can see.
    Last edited by SpruceForest; 02-23-2024, 06:07 AM.

I inserted another strip of aluminum between the Rib and wing skin that extended out another 5/8"-3/4". Installed nut plates on that strip and fasted the wingtip to it. Had to notch the wingtip where it overlaps the tip rib. 4 Place Model A.
    Attached Files

Comment

I have B model Carbon tips from Bob. They didn't fit very well, but they weigh almost nothing. I will take that tradeoff. Making them flush would have made it worse, not better. I did notice a lot of certified aircraft wing tips also don't fit that well. I wish I could recommend something.

I tried to make one side fit better. I caused me a lot more work, and added weight.

Comment

• SpruceForest
        SpruceForest commented
        Editing a comment
        We will likely do Horner tips from scratch... lots of experience with marine and airplane glass stuff, so hope to get a good result. Thanks for the info on Bob's tips... in the data bank.

There are a number of previous posts on this topic in the forum. Mark Scott also did a flush mount. I have some pictures of his installation, but unfortunately I'm traveling and don't have access to them to share.

Here's a link to one forum post: https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/too...lush-wing-tips

Comment

Working...
      X