Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Patrol Hardware List.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for posting. Any idea what your hardware bill was for those seriously considering a kit? Also, does anyone know the rough price of the Wicks hardware kit? (Understanding it’s not a complete kit either). Hats off to all who are trying to make this a more seem-less procurement process for those who come after you. It’s a very generous thing to do.

Comment

On my Patrol I have $8K invested in hardware above
      the kit price. That would
      include nuts/bolts, cables, brakes, aluminum tubing. That would bring the Quick Build kit price up
      to the equivalent of what you would get
      in an RV Quick Build Kit.

Comment

• Bdflies
        Bdflies commented
        Editing a comment
        I couldn’t disagree with this cost analysis at all. I do wonder which of Vans' airplanes would you compare to the Patrol? If anyone chose a Patrol kit because it cost less than a Vans kit, I think an intervention might be in order.

Bill

Looks like the latest model, the RV-14, quick build costs $48,125 and includes tires not included in my Patrol estimate. The Patrol is $43,000 + $8K or $51K. The VANs kit would also include a phenomenal build manual, a huge plus.

Comment

Originally posted by spinningwrench View Post
        Looks like the latest model, the RV-14, quick build costs $48,125 and includes tires not included in my Patrol estimate. The Patrol is $43,000 + $8K or $51K. The VANs kit would also include a phenomenal build manual, a huge plus.
        In this analysis we must also include the cost of moving the wing from the bottom to the top, which is not going to be cheap.

Comment

Patrol doesn’t have a build manual? Weird.

Seriously, though, I think our community is a great asset for improving the state of these kinds of things. With your and others’ knowledge of design tech, we’re in a unique position to help ourselves. Jared has been a one-man band working on a lot of this in his “spare time”. And of course the countless hours that others have contributed posting their solutions to unique encounters.

As long as we continue thinking like a team, then our resources will continue to improve.
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Comparing an all aluminum kit with another kit which has a welded 4130 tube frame is not an apples to apples comparison. Way easier to build a kit and an airplane fuselage with aluminum formers giving the fuselage its shape instead of a welded tube structure. Ask Bob Barrows how he would have done in an all aluminum plane in his accident though. Just a comment. Mark

Comment

Lets keep this convo on track, shall we? Thanks 😇
              Christopher Owens
              Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
              Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
              Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• Bdflies
                Bdflies commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, a technologically savvy moderator could clip #32 on - to start a 'Vans vs Bearhawk' thread. That might get interesting!

Bill

• Chris In Milwaukee
                Chris In Milwaukee commented
                Editing a comment
                Indeed it would! But it would quickly become counterproductive, I feel.

This conversation has veered away from the original question. If you talk to the RV or Zenair or RANS crowd the general expectation is that a "Quick Build" implies the kit will come with everything firewall back that is needed. The original question from Pbruce who was astute enough to realize this is not the case for the Bearhawk Quick Build is what is the difference in dollars to get to that level? My answer of $8K is conservative and accurate and has nothing to do with aluminum vs tube and fabric or high wing vs low wing, that is left up to the individual builder. I obviously have thrown my hat into the Bearhawk circle but felt the person answering the question deserved an honest answer.

Comment

Contributions to this discussion are greatly appreciated by me, one who is nearing the decision point. Indeed, I was looking for exactly the kind of succinct information provided. Eight thousand in hardware. I now have a number. Thank you. Thanks also to anyone else who is helping newcomers gain better understanding of what’s involved through sharing their invaluable, hard-won knowledge.

I have to admit: I experienced some sticker shock with that 8K figure. Better to understand the reality up front though. Personally, I’m not choosing between a Bearhawk or other plane since I already have an RV-maybe the best all-around plane out there for 75% of builders and owners, but it’s no Bearhawk Patrol. For me it’s Patrol or nothing (a Supercub clone was considered but it’s neither quicker, nor cheaper).

So I’m evaluating whether to buy the Patrol kit. Even though I’m not considering building an RV-14 anytime soon, the comparison does serve as a useful yardstick for cost and build experience. It helps people like me to understand the value proposition even though the mission attributes are much different. If I do pull the trigger and do this, I have no doubt that this superbly detailed list will save money and hundreds of hours of tedious shopping. Thanks again to the author for generously sharing this info about Patrol hardware.
                Last edited by Pbruce; 07-08-2019, 02:02 AM.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                  Mark Goldberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. PBruce - I have some opinions that differ from some expressed here in this thread. But not willing to debate on the forum. If you would like to discuss the kit and ask any questions - get in touch. Mark

Will do. Thank you.

Comment

A data point from the author fo this thread. I made up the list for myself for various reasons. I did not know the list would benefit other much and am grateful that has. It sure makes me feel good to think it might help streamline one small part of the process. Life doesn't get any better for me than when I can contribute, and meet folks with the same interests along the way. As Iron sharpens Iron, so does one man sharpen another.

We as a community have a ways to go in a few areas.

I'm working on a task right now that has no guidance written yet for Jared's flow chart. I'm going to commit right now to writing an article for the Flow Chart instructions and submit it to Jared for the benefit of the group. I'm no author and can hardly spel. But i'll give it a shot.

Bruce, (Spinning Wrench) You are very talented at creating diagrams...the most talented of anyone i know. Bruce, would you consider sharing those with our group thru Jared's flow chart? You can raise the quality of the Flow Charts. Will you help? will you help sharpen up those who are following you?

Brooks Cone
                  Last edited by Bcone1381; 07-08-2019, 10:12 PM.
                  Brooks Cone
                  Southeast Michigan
                  Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
                    A data point from the author fo this thread. I made up the list for myself for various reasons. I did not know the list would benefit other much and am grateful that has. It sure makes me feel good to think it might help streamline one small part of the process. Life doesn't get any better for me than when I can contribute, and meet folks with the same interests along the way. As Iron sharpens Iron, so does one man sharpen another.

We as a community have a ways to go in a few areas.

I'm working on a task right now that has no guidance written yet for Jared's flow chart. I'm going to commit right now to writing an article for the Flow Chart instructions and submit it to Jared for the benefit of the group. I'm no author and can hardly spel. But i'll give it a shot.

Bruce, (Spinning Wrench) You are very talented at creating diagrams...the most talented of anyone i know. Bruce, would you consider sharing those with our group thru Jared's flow chart? You can raise the quality of the Flow Charts. Will you help? will you help sharpen up those who are following you?

Brooks Cone
                    Thank you for that Brooks, I should mention that Bruce has shared a tailwheel diagram that is in the queue for addition to the manual, as are some corrections and suggestions from Brooks. And a section from Mark about the tail feathers, and a video from Ken about the horizontal stabilizer. I hope to get these things incorporated soon but this is a bit of a crazy month! I'm extremely grateful for these and other contributions and realize that when I don't incorporate them in a timely manner it probably doesn't help with motivation for future feedback. Users are always welcome to comment directly on an article. The first one is moderated and may see a slight delay, but after that they will show up immediately. If those comments are especially useful I add them to the queue for incorporation into the main article.

Comment

Working...
                    X