Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two New Kit Builder Manual Entries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two New Kit Builder Manual Entries

Steve has provided us two fantastic articles for the Patrol kit builder manual:
    Engine Selection
    Installing the Round Tail Spring
    These are also active on the Patrol map, and the round spring article is also on the 4-Place map.
    Last edited by jaredyates; 05-15-2019, 02:49 PM.

Stainless tail springs, is that a Patrol thing? My plans show 6150 steel.
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
      Mark Goldberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. The Patrol & LSA springs are made of 17-4 stainless tempered to 40+ Rc. Mark

Nice. Thanks, Steve!
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

It's probably time soon to branch off the LSA map based on the Patrol map. Does anyone have anything to add to the Patrol map before we do that? Here is the link:
      Public mind map by Jared Yates. Create your own collaborative mind maps for free at www.mindmeister.com

Comment

Have you considered a recommended sequence for engine installation items, like baffling, engine controls, Fuel and Oil hoses electrical, exhaust, heat, oil cooler, Air supply to the Fuel Control system (carb or FI) Oil Cooler? Maybe its more appropriate to look at Bengelis books for this stuff.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
          Have you considered a recommended sequence for engine installation items, like baffling, engine controls, Fuel and Oil hoses electrical, exhaust, heat, oil cooler, Air supply to the Fuel Control system (carb or FI) Oil Cooler? Maybe its more appropriate to look at Bengelis books for this stuff.
          This is a great idea Brooks, let's do it. Do you think it is better to have those steps on the map, or to write an engine stuff installation entry? If you'd like to write one as you go, that would be fantastic.

Comment

• Bcone1381
            Bcone1381 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok. When I get to that point I'll connect back and keep notes and see what I come up with.

Both the links provided by Jared seem to point to selecting an engine. The tail spring installation link doesn't point to the correct page.

Comment

• jaredyates
            jaredyates commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for that Bruce, I have fixed it! There was some strange automatic parsing going on but going old school seems to have straightened it out.

When enlarging the AN4 tail spring hole in the fuselage to the final size you may want to provide a technique to verify that the tail wheel is indeed perfectly vertical with respect to the fuselage. I have heard of the AN4 holes in the fuselage being initially drilled at a slight angle which means you can't just enlarge the existing AN4 holes as provided in the tail spring and fuselage to final size without compensating.

Comment

• jaredyates
            jaredyates commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Bruce for your feedback here an in the comments on the articles. I have also sent you an email in case you want to get in touch that way too. Having feedback from builders who are actually building is crucial.

Hey Jared, I drilled my tail spring to the tube that attaches it to the fuse and it is not very tight, it has a small amount of movement side to side. I spoke to my tech councilor about it and he recommended I use taper pins to hold the tail spring to the fuse and eliminate the movement. I am currently trying to decide what size taper reamer and taper pin to use. Can you or anyone else here provide any guidance on this? Thanks

Comment

How are you going to hold the taper pin in the hole?

Comment

• Bcone1381
              Bcone1381 commented
              Editing a comment
              The standard AN386 Taper pin has threads on the narrow end to accept an AN320 castle nut or AN364 elastic stop nut.
              Last edited by Bcone1381; 05-17-2019, 12:33 PM. Reason: clarification.

Not sure about the LSA but the Patrol uses an AN5 bolt there. To get the equivalent thread on a taper pin you would have to go the a AN386-4. That could be a lot of material to remove with a tapered ream, I’d have to look at that carefully. I ended up reaming .0005 over the AN5 bolt size to get a slop free fit.

Comment

Working...
            X