Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packaging a custom two quadrant throttle design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packaging a custom two quadrant throttle design

DSC_1557-S.jpgJust finished making a custom two quadrant throttle that fits completely in the sidewall of the Patrol. There is plenty of space between the throttle handles and flap lever with this installation. The quadrant is inspired by the Baxter throttles sold through Aircraft Spruce but by making one lever reversing and bringing it out the bottom with a cranked arm I was able to reduce the overall thickness of the quadrant by 1/4" allowing me to bring out all the engine control cables on the outside of the vertical fuselage tube just in front of the quadrant.
    DSC_1561-S.jpgDSC_1559-S.jpgDSC_1565-S.jpg There is no impact to the pilots space and everything fits within the sidewall.

Very nice. I wish I could figure out how to put one in a 4 place.

Comment

Very cool, and I really like that solution. Unfortunately, I won't be able to steal your idea, since I have a 2nd door on that side (seaplane kit). I think I'm going to wind up with at throttle / mixture controls on the panel (or perhaps a small sub-panel) way over on the left side...

I still have to figure out a way to add at least a throttle (and perhaps mixture as well) for the back seat to make my CFI comfortable with doing flight reviews. Perhaps a throttle cable running under the door sill, and connecting to the primary throttle linkage somehow, and just live with no mixture control from the rear seat?
      Jim Parker
      Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
      RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

No mixture in the back is pretty common. I used the A-920 control cables from Aircraft Spruce which have a minimum bend radius of 6" and are very smooth. Maybe you could do an overhead quadrant like on a seaplane? That would look pretty cool.

Comment

• Bdflies
          Bdflies commented
          Editing a comment
          "Overhead"!!! Ooohhh... I like that idea....

Bill

Well thought out and very nicely made! I love it!!!

Comment

Wow those look really nice and professionally done. What did you use for friction material between the levers? How are you adjusting the friction between the levers?

Comment

OK just saw the friction adjust knob, looks great!!!

Comment

The friction material is called Garolite. Its a type of phenolic. The friction knob preloads the levers and Garolite and allows for very smooth adjustment and silky feel.

Comment

I see 5 tabs involved. Did you have to put those on yourself?

Comment

Yes three to hold the throttle and two more tabs to hold the cable attach brackets which I purchased from Aircraft Spruce.
                  Last edited by spinningwrench; 12-23-2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

These tabs look like they were done at the factory! What’s the procedure for welding tabs onto the fuselage tubing? How is the integrity of the tubing assured at the welding site and how do you refinish the area? I have no knowledge of welding and am just wondering how practical it is to make these kind of minor additions to the airframe after receiving the QB kit. Thanks!

Comment

In terms of welding tabs are probably the easiest weld to make as the tab kind of produces its own filler material as it melts into the tubing although I will always dab a little filler on to make a nice looking joint. For mounting the throttle I made a sheet metal template with screw holes to hold the tabs in position and then just tacked the corners of the tabs onto the tubing. I removed the template and finish welded each tab. The template makes all the tabs lie in the same plane. The integrity of the tubing is not affected if the weld is done properly. I like mounting real important things like the throttle with permanent tabs so things can never move around. After welding I wire brush, prime with epoxy primer and the next day apply a top coat of enamel which I color matched to the Bearhawk Quick Build paint as applied at the factory. Hope this helps.

Comment

Beautiful install, spinningwrench !

As an ex-Navy pilot, I am hard-wired to want throttle in LH, stick in RH, so I plan to attempt something similar on my eventual Bearhawk build. Will be sure to give you credit

Comment

• jaredyates
                          jaredyates commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Just sit in the right seat and you'll be good to go.

Just let me know how I can help, I’ve produced lots of CAD drawings for my Patrol build.

Comment

Working...
                        X