Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panel position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panel position

Just wondering if anyone other than me finds the panel location a little close, any modifications?

I tilted mine forward 30 degrees.

I received the new instrument panel from Aerotronics last week.  Jason Smith was the lead technician and his team did a fantastic job build...
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• James
      James commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea Rob - do you have any photos of what you did on top so that these large avionics racks can tilt up and forward and clear the coaming when you drop the panel?

Very nice, I like the piano hinge!

Comment

Very well done, clean and efficient. It is really nice.
      Scott Ahrens
      Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Here is an example of the tilted panel in action. Once the boot cowl is installed, about 75% of the inside top portion can be removed to allow tilting after everything is installed. However, once the control cables are installed and set, those all need disconnected to allow tilting. It's not perfect, but works with a little tinkering. Not sure I would do it again...

Rob Caldwell
        Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
        EAA Chapter 309
        Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
        YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
        1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

When I built my RV I tried to plan to ensure access for maintenance. There are a few items that really hard to get to anyway. Your panel will be very accessible even with a little tinkering.
          Scott Ahrens
          Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Pilot position and panel design are often overlooked for ergonomics if _you_ as the person typically occupying that environment 99.9% of the time. Little changes like Robs can go a long way to enjoying it more.
            One thing to keep in mind is sunlight / glare shield and line of sight. Make sure you don’t end up with the midday sun lighting up your panel.

pb

Comment

I had a friend (recently passed away) with a CH-750 that had a large-screen Dynon in his panel. He front-mounted it (using nut plates on the back of the panel) with the idea that by removing the Dynon, he would have a giant access hole in his panel for anything else that needed access.

With your Dynon on one side, and your iPad mount on the other side, seems like you would have plenty of access...
              Jim Parker
              Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
              RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• robcaldwell
                robcaldwell commented
                Editing a comment
                That's exactly how my Dynon 10" Skyview HDX is mounted. 4 allen head screws and it's off and I can stick my hand through the hole and have pretty good access.

I made mine in 4 pieces, 3 of which are hinged. The 4th is a small piece that is fixed in place for the throttle and prop. It is removed in the photos.

The structural part of the panel is .063, and the vertical legs between cutouts are doubled with pieces of angle. It is actually pretty strong, and weighs almost exactly what the kit panel weighs, The carbon/kevlar facing that the avionics are mounted to is extra weight. The face is 1 layer of 5 oz twill CC, one layer of 5 oz kevlar, and 1 layer of 12 oz CC in the rear.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Working...
              X