Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Table

Will be starting my QB Patrol kit later this summer. I have a 4'x12' work table from a previous kit project (Zenith STOL 750) and was wondering if it is a necessary item when doing the Patrol QB kit. A simple saw horse setup for finishing up the QB wings would be easier to manage with respect to size constraints in the garage. Appreciate all thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

Dave
    Getting stoked as the delivery day approaches...

Dave, I bolted some castor wheels onto the wing rate, pulled the wing crate into the shed, laid some plywood across the top, and then sat the wing on it. Wasn't perfect, but it got the job done.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Thanks Nev...since I have a wings cradle I'm planning on sending the wing crates back to AviPro via the delivery truck. I'm thinking that a rotisseire for the wings will not be required as these are QB wings and just need closing up after wiring, plumbing and tip cap fitment. Seems I can accomplish that with wings on a set of sawhorses? It would save me some grief not having to haul the work table from the hangar to my garage (and displace my wife's car for the winter ) if I don't need the table for the wings.

Dave

Comment

I found I really wanted a rotisserie for painting the wings, though I was able to make something up out of wood.

Comment

Seems I can accomplish that with wings on a set of sawhorses?
          Yep you could - use something to spread the load on the lower surface and Bob's your uncle.
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
          YouTube - Build and flying channel
          Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Chewie
            Chewie commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Nev View Post
            and Bob's your uncle.
            That would be nice!

You will need to work on both sides of the wings so you need a safe way to secure them without damage while putting in a lot of nutplates. I used a workbench with a thick piece of styrofoam to avoid damaging the wing skins. When I built my fuselage rotisserie I designed it to also accomodate the wings. Come painting time that will be really handy.

Comment

I would consider rotisseries for the wings and the fuselage to be essential. Sure, you can get by without, but it'll be more difficult and the chances of damage will be higher. I made one for the fuselage and one for a wing out of two cheap engine stands, some castors so they would roll in any direction, and a bunch of square tube from the wing crates. Even if you have to buy a cheap mig welder and learn to use it, it'll be worthwhile in time and frustration saved.
            4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
            IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

Hey Tim, would you mind (when convenient) showing some detail on how the rottiserie attachs to the wing root or spars? I'm proficient with MIG and have the equipment. I also happen to have two cheap engine stands hanging around which I know longer use

Thanks! Dave

Comment

• TimTall
                TimTall commented
                Editing a comment
                I can't find any photos of my wings in the rotisserie. If your wings are still in the crates it's easy enough to just repurpose the crate attachment fittings.

Thanks Tim! Just read a thread for this very same question which had some good photos on how to use the crate fittings to make the rotisserie.
              Cheers!

Comment

Here is a shot of my wing root support for my rotisserie, simply made out of the wood piece you see and a clamping piece on the backside. The rotisserie mechanism is fabricated from tractor parts and a surplus sprocket for indexing.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I used a rotisserie made of engine stands connected by 2” steel stock, but kind of wished I hadn’t at times. I understand I’m in the minority here. First, I had to pay for the welding and it was EXPENSIVE! Definitely wished I had used something with wood, or better still, used this project as an intro-to-welding project.

Secondly, I placed u-joints at each end, but the process of locking them in position seemed to apply differential torque to each end. I noticed because the rivet holes weren’t lining up easily at first. I was worried about wing twist. Haven’t flown so I still am. Luckily, the rivet holes are match-drilled.

Lastly, I hung the ailerons and flaps onto the hinge points while building them because I thought this was the best, prescribed way. It’s not. I got some droop in some of the TE of the ailerons.and flaps. The instruction manual, brief and rudimentary as it is, tells you to build them flat on a table. If I could do it over again, I would.

On the positive side, it was easy to install components and rivet skins, thanks to the rotisserie. My fuselage goes on the rotisserie too, which is really great. A difference of a few degrees of rotation makes a huge difference in accessibility. Painting wings and fuse should be much easier too, but I’m not there yet so I have yet to experience this benefit. Wing tip work will need to be done on a table. I’m a bit challenged for room too, which mutes my appreciation for this tool. Hope this helps someone avoid pitfalls IMG_0729.jpg
                  Last edited by Pbruce; 05-10-2023, 09:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• svyolo
                    svyolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When I did the tips, I just took one end of the rotisserie off and supported one end on a support/ or a small table would work.

My rotissory has no u-joints.

I've watched and not (edit,,,,should have been NOW instead of not) see that If each end of the rotisserie are aligned on the same axis, (meaning both have the same hieght and they are pointed at each other) and the shop floor is quite flat, then U-joints are not needed. If there is some slop built into rotisserie ends (like the a bit of slop where the veritcal tubes slide into each other) then they self align to account for minor tolerance issues.
                  Last edited by Bcone1381; 05-12-2023, 09:34 AM. Reason: "now" not "not" speling issue
                  Brooks Cone
                  Southeast Michigan
                  Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• svyolo
                    svyolo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My original wing rotisserie was 1 inch tube from the crates include the rotisserie pivots. Plenty of play to correct for alignment. But my fuselage rotisserie had U-joints. They were very cheap. Either worked, either a loose pivot, or U-joint. Rigid would possibly be bad.
                Working...
                X