Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While I ponder window frames - here is a stringer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While I ponder window frames - here is a stringer question

Bottom stringers on a Patrol Q/B... what's the though process here in this picture out of the Patrol manual/pics provided with my kit? Just an arbitrary length to termination, how about vibrations and possible resonance? How much to bend them, how long? I am perplexed...

Pic 14.jpg

Any insight gladly accepted!

This is how I did mine. I don't think it matters. When you cover the fuselage it will appear like the stringers leave the fabric. The excess stringer material beyond that ceases to serve a purpose, so the photo looks to me like the tail end could be trimmed back some.
    Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 10.22.32 PM.png
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• DBeaulieu
      DBeaulieu commented
      Editing a comment
      Brooks, are you considering trimming your bottom stringers back a bit?

Not to make work for you, but a popular mod here in Alaska (and other places probably) is to put in a belly pan at the tail. Some even go so far as to put panels along the entire belly! It will give you great access to all that stuff that lives in that hostile environment, makes it easier to clean out all the crap that accumulates back there and makes inspecting it all that much easier too.

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

Eligible On: PA-18 and PA-19 Series Aircraft STC: N/A FAA/PMA: Yes Weight: 1.8 lbs Material: 2024 T3 aluminum pan; mild steel receptacle plates. Purpose: To allow clean out of aft lower fuselage section and to gain access to jack screw and pulleys. Installation: Welding is required for lion fastener receptacle plates.

028.jpg

Comment

• DBeaulieu
      DBeaulieu commented
      Editing a comment
      Paul, wish I had your fab skills. I like the idea of a large access panel in that area. Not sure if the PA-18 kit from Atlee would be workable with the tail end of a Patrol? Certainly worth considering - thanks for pointing it out!

I have seen it does both ways pictured above, none seem to be any better or worse in the long term - although one is slightly lighter than the other.

Ensure there's a smooth transition, as it affects wear and tear on the fabric if there are sharp corners, also you can see the profile side-on so you want it looking like a gradual transition. The exact shape isn't super critical.

Comment

• DBeaulieu
      DBeaulieu commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it...thank you!

Here is how I decided to termiante the bottom stringers at the aft end of the fuselage. Couldn't see them just dangling as loose ends

rear stringer termination.jpg

Comment

Shaped some AL extrusions, mainly because the stringers were slightly to short to lay on the tab. Generally speaking, having a good arsenal of aluminum angle extrusions around solved so many details for me.

stringer.jpg

Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Comment

Working...
      X