Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N828CB kit 1175 O-540

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspirational! Do you have a posting of the work in progress?

Comment

Looks great, Bobby. Good luck with the DAR visit today. Gary's and awesome DAR. Looking forward to seeing your plane.
    Larry Driver
    Bearhawk 4-Place Quickbuild N22LD
    Mogollon Airpark, Overgaard AZ

Comment

Hey Larry! Yes, Gary was great!!! An absolutely pleasure to work with. I'm glad he braved the heat to come all the way down the valley.

Gary had a few recommendations but other than that, no big sqawks. After he explained all the operating limitations he left to drive home and we went to work putting all the panels and cowl back on.

I waited until the wind died down a bit and took my new Bearhawk for a test flight. She did great! Leapt off the ground before I got to full power. CHTs were mighty high, but started to calm down after 15 minutes. I'm so surprised that it flew hands off without a heavy wing. I did a few turns and some slow flight then back to land. Super stable and she landed great.

I'm waking up early in the morning when it's cool... or relatively cool (80)... to do the same test flight again.

I'll let you guys know more as I progress through the 40 hours.
      Bobby Stokes
      4-Place Kit Builder
      Queen Creek, AZ
      http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

Congratulations!! Very exciting times ahead!

Bill

Comment

Congratulations on getting signed off and first flight Bobby. Very exciting. Mark

Comment

Pictures/videos or it didn't happen
            -------------------
            Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
            Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
            RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Hahaha! That's what everyone is saying! So, here's a video proof that it happened!

Bobby Stokes
              4-Place Kit Builder
              Queen Creek, AZ

Comment

• Bdflies
                Bdflies commented
                Editing a comment
                Might not be real.... That's WAY too professional!

Bill

• swpilot3
                swpilot3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha!! Thanks Bill!

Awesome! Congratulations......

Comment

Beautiful plane, congrats!

Comment

Congrats. Fantastic looking plane.

Comment

Very cool video! Congrats!
                    Larry Driver
                    Bearhawk 4-Place Quickbuild N22LD
                    Mogollon Airpark, Overgaard AZ

Comment

Congratulations on a fantastic accomplishment. Very cool video! I loved how you pulled off the "NASCAR doughnut" there at the end... Sounds like a very supportive family was watching proudly.
                      Jim Parker
                      Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                      RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Thanks guys! Yeah, I did have a very supportive crew!

So here's an update at the 5 hr mark. It's been hot here in AZ. Even at sunrise it's 85. Like most people with a new Bearhawk running a new O-540, I have hot CHTs. After talking with Mark Goldberg, I enlarged my cowl exit and spent a lot of time making sure the baffling is perfect.

However, I still had VERY hot CHTs. As soon as I climb through 1000 AGL, the CHTs were soaring past 450. So I pulled the power back to keep everything within limits. That ended up being 14" just to keep it under 475. Unacceptable. However, after talking with Schu it dawned on me that my heater box just dumps 2" of air out the side when closed. Also I've heard that the 4" scat tubing going to my oil cooler is also using A LOT of air that isn't cooling the cylinders.

So, I completely blocked the 2" heater tube and partially blocked the 4" oil cooler tube. Voila! That did it. I was able to climb to altitude and cruise at 65% power with the CHTs at 400 and the oil around 190. From what I've read, that's pretty reasonable for a fairly new engine in the summer here in AZ.

The bad part is that my EarthX battery didn't survive very well in the hot temps. Its on the engine side of the firewall. The fault light illuminated and the case bulged. They're sending me a new one. I'm going to wrap it in a heat shield and put a temp probe there to monitor the temp.
                        Bobby Stokes
                        4-Place Kit Builder
                        Queen Creek, AZ

Comment

There is a butterfly valve available for the 4" oil cooler supply which I will install. Very discouraging to hear about the EarthX issue. I was afraid that the 140 deg operating/158 storage limit was not enough to survive on the firewall. For in cabin use you are supposed to use the vented version which is a $100 more. Your heat issues seem to validate my decision to use cowl flaps, even though they added at least 3 months to the build. Congratulations on a great airplane!

Comment

I like the butterfly valve idea on the oil cooler air supply. I might retrofit mine.

As for the EarthX, they've been great to work with. They said that the case bulging is just the plastic case warping, but it might have squeezed one of the cells causing the fault. I asked about how dangerous this was and they said not at all. They really didn't seem worried about it... safety wise. However, hot batteries warping has become enough of an issue that they're coming out with a thermal shielded battery box. It's in production now but the launch of it will miss Oshkosh by 2 weeks. I'm getting one.

I had originally decided not to do cowl flaps because so many Bearhawks are flying just fine without them. I kinda wish I had done it though.
                            Bobby Stokes
                            4-Place Kit Builder
                            Queen Creek, AZ

Comment

Working...
                            X