Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Importance of Fuel Injection in Backcountry Flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Importance of Fuel Injection in Backcountry Flying

The Importance of Fuel Injection in Backcountry Flying

For a long time, people have said a carbureted engine is preferable in a backcountry aviation setting. The adage goes something like "the complexity, weight, and hard starting of a fuel injection system is a disadvantage in the backcountry".

When I started seriously flying in a backcountry setting around a decade ago, I was open to this idea and keen to learn about it through experience. At the time, I hadn't committed to an engine choice for our aircraft. Trouble was, as I gained experience, it didn't align with the conventional wisdom. In fact, the opposite appeared to be true - older carbureted aircraft seemed to be less reliable, less capable, and tended to be operated at higher weights as they drank a lot more fuel. Evidence kept accruing over the years, all to the same tune. So I started to wonder, where has the conventional wisdom come from, and what changed since then. The following are my musings about this conundrum.

The Way It Was...
    Back in the heyday of backcountry aviation, say 1950 to 1970, I am sure things were remarkably different:
    - There was no common and personally portable way to jump-start a large aircraft engine - especially the larger 6 cylinder engines with heavy metal props to swing.
    - Running engines lean of peak (LOP) not common practice or widely understood, so the fuel required was just a function of cubic inches.
    - Reliance on electric gizmos in aircraft was still a relatively recent development, so the skills required to hand-start aircraft were still widespread
    - Getting stuck in the backcountry could often become a dangerous survival situation. All-weather helicopter rescue, personal satellite communications, personal locator beacons (etc) were either uncommon, unaffordable, or impossible.

What's Changed?
    Over 50 years of technology advances have dramatically improved the reality of backcountry flying. This has changed the game. In my observations, fuel injected aircraft now have a clear advantage over the alternatives. In some circumstances, the advantage is significant. At this point, I would acknowledge some people have an adverse reaction to relying on technology in the wilderness, but it has become reality. These days, few people go into backcountry settings without taking some technology for safety's sake. We all like a good backup plan.

The Advantages of Fuel Injection
    - Running fuel injection means LOP operations are easy to do, giving considerably lower fuel burn and higher efficiency. Importantly, this means lighter operating weight and/or extended range at lighter weights. This is advantageous to all phases of the flight. It also more than offsets the extra weight of the fuel injection equipment installed. A plane with fuel injection can go further and land more easily at more challenging destinations early in the journey. Practically I have seen this constraint bind on many occasions, where non-FI aircraft needed additional return trips to uplift fuel, or to overfly landing areas due to weight.

- The importance of lighter weight operations is considerable. It drives safety, you can take more gear and be more prepared. You enjoy higher performance and greater safety margins. It means shorter ground roll and more control, meaning less risk exposure during what is certainly the most defining aspect of backcountry aviation - the backcountry landing. It also means you have more options for landing, shorter fields become accessible. Not to mention lower stress on the airframe if there's a heavy landing etc.

- Fuel injection generally delivers an extra ~5% excess horsepower, which (again) increases safety margins and performance, which is important as discussed above.

- The simplicity of operating the engine without needing carb heat, and the reduced risk from air intake icing. This is obviously not new, but it is important.

What about disadvantages?
    - "The complexity myth" - yes it is a more complicated system, which needs electrical power. Practically I have seen any aircraft, regardless of engine configuration, are prone to break down. In my own experience, I have seen more carb planes stranded in the backcountry - perhaps because they are more common. I don't see any advantage to fuel injection here, but the rhetoric about this disadvantage seems relatively unfounded based on my limited and modern experiences. Perhaps things used to be different.

- "You need battery power to start" - the reality of modern electronic aircraft systems, like electric ignition, is that a flat battery or dull battery is no longer an issue restricted to fuel injection. Many aircraft engines have EI or other systems which require power, regardless of how fuel enters the cylinders. While this problem is only getting worse, the advent of modern lightweight batteries and jump packs means having a backup has never been easier. This has become non-issue, provided the pilot comes prepared.

- "You can't hand-prop with fuel injection" - when it comes to hand-starting a flat battery, especially when its unexpectedly and without regular practice - engines can be fickle. This is especially true of any large engine, particularly three blade carbon propellers which have little inertia and leave zero room for error.​​ Pilots have to regularly practice hand starting their own aircraft to be assured they can hand-prop if required. They also need to know what they are doing, in case the engine is flooded. Most people tend to take other precautions instead, such as carrying a jump pack or satellite communications device. Again, this risk can be cheaply and easily managed these days - not so, 50 years ago.

Conclusions
    Time and technology have addressed the disadvantages and created new ways to mitigate the risks.
    In my opinion, which is biased, the fuel injected aircraft has a clear advantage in most operational aspects of backcountry flying. A direct comparison with other aircraft in a practical setting, makes this advantage apparent. At the least, I suggest we should temper the conventional wisdom with modern realities, when discussing the "benefits of a light, simple aircraft" for backcountry operations.

This is an interesting topic!

When I first did my engine spec I was big on power to weight, (trumps horsepower alone), handling characteristics, fuel efficiency and reliability. In discussions with Bob I landed on the Barrows version of the Lycoming O 360 200 HP carburettor model.

As we know that didn’t work out so well, so I went for a Lycoming IO 360 C1C ex a Cherokee Arrow.

I went for carbureted initially simply because of its ease of prop swinging in the back country. I used to fly a Tiger Moth commercially so have been very comfortable hand swinging props. I also used to operate an AEIO 360 A1A commercially and never had the hot starting problems you hear folks grizzle about. I’d do up to 25 starts a day with no problem.

So, my opinion is that the advantages Battson has identified are very relevant, the cons of reliability, ability to swing start etc have been put out of my mind having swung my IO 360 a few times now. (I have a tent just in case).

To be fair, I haven’t hand swung a three bladed IO 540 and don’t have a great appetite to try, but with the advent of high output jump start packs these days that should be a manageable risk.

Electronic ignition combined with fuel injection gives the modern backcountry pilot some serious mission advantage over a magneto carb dinosaur operation. Why wouldn’t we take advantage of that edge, not to mention the savings in fuel burn/cost.

Comment

I've always been a carburetor, mag, hand prop if stuck with a dead battery kind of guy but you sure make valid points. I'm stuck in the 70's. Thanks for the insite.

Comment

I'm a computer guy since jr. high. I'm a fan of systems that are fail safe with redundancy. It is often the moving parts that fail. It is trivial to have redundant electronics. What is more reliable, a "simple" mechanical system or an electronically controlled one with fewer (sometimes none) moving parts and redundant electronics?
        Last edited by kestrel; 10-05-2022, 07:23 PM.

Comment

It's an interesting topic not least because advances in other technologies support a change of thinking - as Battson mentions (time and technology).

Several of us here in NZ (and I'm sure overseas) carry and use a Garmin Inreach for tracking, and comms with the outside world. In the event of any mishap, delay, breakdown etc, help is much more likely to be available. This tends to be "catch-all" device. The basic plan drops a breadcrumb waypoint every 10 minutes that can be seen on an online map by anyone you chose to give the link to. It interfaces with the mobile phone for ease of use, and allows text messaging, emails, or Inreach to Inreach messaging as well. It also has a big red SOS button monitored 24 hours for assistance should your friends be ignoring you.

I've already seen a few Bearhawkers flying with a Jumpack battery - and they've been able to use them quickly to start the aircraft when the main battery was weak. I'll be getting one myself. They're relatively light and compact. It won't solve all problems, but it will likely help with a battery issue which seems to be a common one.

Both the change in battery technology, and the availability of small and inexpensive satellite communications devices seem to me to reduce the risk of being stuck due to a dead battery, or anything else.
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
          YouTube - Build and flying channel
          Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• TimTall
            TimTall commented
            Editing a comment
            I installed an Earth-X battery on the engine side of the firewall. I also installed a charging/jumping lead from the battery to the left door post area so I can plug in a boost pack while I'm sitting in the pilot seat. Earth-x sells one cheap so I bought it at the same time as the battery.

Hopefully i never need it for boosting but it's there when I do. I've already used it for charging and it's super convenient to have it in the cabin.

I'm running mechanical fuel injection so in theory it's possible to hand prop it. I'd need enough power to run the boost pump to prime the system and energize the e-mags but that would take less power than starting. In practice, I doubt it would work hot.

• svyolo
            svyolo commented
            Editing a comment
            I am going to have the same. Big lithium jump pack, wired in on a switch as a backup battery. Easily removeable for jumpstart. NOT wired to starter circuit in my own A/C. Plug somewhere for that.

As a shout-out for EFI/EI, I have dual everything including ECU's. Other than the ECU's, everything can be purchased off Amazon or the local NAPA. The only wear items are the fuel pumps, which are automotive parts that cost $120.

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            I did something similar Tim, and put a charging/jumpstart plug between and just above the rudder pedals. Actually it's probably not the most ergonomic position in hindsight, but the same bought process as yours that it can all be done while sitting in the cockpit and without lifting cowls.

Something that I hadn't thought about until we started working on 303AP is that pumps make a big difference in the calculation. Bob says a 540 does fine without a pump, but my flow in testing wasn't adequate without one. The plane already had an engine driven pump, and as I understand it, that means it needs a boost pump in case the engine pump fails. Back when we had a gravity-only system on the blue plane, adding fuel injection would have also meant adding pumps, but it occured to me the other day, if we are already putting up with the negatives of having two fuel pumps, we are already part-way there for the weight and complexity of fuel injection, with none of the benefits.

Comment

• Battson
            Battson commented
            Editing a comment
            I would have imagined that the two pumps are the majority of the weight and complexity, the servo is little different to a carb (weight / complexity only), and the spider is a non event - no different to a primer line really (weight / complexity only).
        Working...
        X