Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk Five Plans #5053

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center ribs are now primed and have stiffeners riveted on! All .024 ribs used AD3-3.5 rivets, I used AD3-4 for .032 ribs and AD3-5 for the root ribs. Pretty much all of them about a 1/2 size above what I had originally calculated.
    I also upgraded rivet guns. I had been using a surplus IR AVC12 gun which did not have good trigger control and had a great deal of leakage. I found a NOS Chicago Pneumatic 4444-RUSAB (3X) on EBay for a good deal. With the new gun I was able to regulate the trigger down to a single hit. This made a world of difference.. I liked it enough I found a CP 4444 RURAB (2X) gun that was missing a spool valve and repaired it. The 2X has quickly become my favorite gun for the 3/32 rivets when adjusted down to 25-30PSI and I can have an entire stiffener riveted on in the time it took me to squeeze one-two rivets with a squeezer.

IMG_7585.jpg
    IMG_7589.jpg
    IMG_7600.jpg
    PXL_20240326_025416257.jpg
    IMG_7591.jpg
    IMG_7592.jpg

The next step to do was one that I have been putting off: drilling the balance tube hole in the Aileron nose ribs.

I first tried a Forstner bit as I had one on hand and I had seen another builder use with good luck. Well... My luck was not as good.

PXL_20240328_024533965.jpg

PXL_20240328_024323301.jpg

I ended up drilling the remainder with a dull Harbor Freight step drill bit.

PXL_20240328_024014237.jpg

PXL_20240328_024332763.jpg
    I think my next step once i get the Aileron and Flap ribs primed is to start cutting spar blanks and figure out how I am going to bend them....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Redneckmech; 03-27-2024, 11:18 PM.
    Bill Duncan
    Troy, Idaho
    Bearhawk Five Scratchbuild - Plans #5053
    N53BD - reserved
    Builders-Log

Comment

• SpruceForest
      SpruceForest commented
      Editing a comment
      Too late for you this time around, but a jig which clamps the aileron nose rib web-down, a 1/4" pre-drilled center hole, and a bimetal or carbide hole saw with the center drill replaced with a bit of 1/4" drill rod works well in the drill press for those minimum-clearance aileron balance weight holes .

I am at the point in the project where bending the spars is quickly going to be a gating option and I still have not been able to make a decision on how I am going to do it. So far, I have been unable to locate a usable 10' brake within a 100 mile radius, the only one I have found is not in a condition that would produce a scratch free spar and I like doing all work myself anyhow so I am currently leaning towards building a brake out of some scrap I beam that I have laying around or possibly investing in the material to build a good quality brake.

Does anyone know if the Mac's Machine brake plans are still available? The links I have tried no longer work and I have been unable to locate them. It looks like a well built brake that could be increased to the needed length with only minor changes.

Has anyone tried priming one side of an aluminum sheet to protect it prior to bending spars? The aluminum sheet I have for the spars only has plastic on one side of it and I am weighing my options between priming it or using adhesive floor protector to protect it from scratches during bending.

Thanks,

Bill
    Bill Duncan
    Troy, Idaho
    N53BD - reserved
    Builders-Log

Comment

There is another thread going on now, in addition to a few others in the archive, that address brake building. They all follow a similar arc of "how hard can it be" with a few replies to the contrary, to "well that didn't work" to "why is this so hard", then after many iterations and much work, maybe to "I finally got it to work" but not always. The forces involved are very high and if you've seen a 10' brake big enough to do the job, you know it's a seriously heavy machine. Something more on the scope of a truck than a workbench.

Can you make little shoes for the brake out of soft aluminum flashing?.it comes in a long skinny piece and is easy to find locally. Bob mentions this in one of the early Beartrscks for both scratch protection and also radius modification.

Comment

• Redneckmech
        Redneckmech commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately, the brake that I located is well past being in adequate shape for a shoe to help it. It is a large finger brake that someone must have bent much thicker material than it's capacity at some point in its past. Several of the fingers are bent over 1/8" and I don't think they could be shimmed back into alignment.

I just got another lead on a shop semi-locally that may have a brake so will be checking with them today. Alternately, kilohotel had his spars bent at a shop in Post Falls, it is about 120 miles away from me so may be worth the drive...

For anyone that is looking for protective film for their aluminum I was able to locate it online and US made! The same brand is also available on Amazon.

Get self-adhesive, protective film for aluminum that removes cleanly after application. Made in USA, quantity discount pricing, & FREE shipping!
      Bill Duncan
      Troy, Idaho
      N53BD - reserved
      Builders-Log

Comment

Your local fabrication shop may not have a 10' brake, but I bet he knows his competitors and may tell you who does. Some jobs just need a professional touch.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Redneckmech
          Redneckmech commented
          Editing a comment
          That is the problem with not being near a major population center, I have gotten several references but all were to shops that are in Spokane Wa, which is a solid 120 miles away from where I live. I now have a line on a shop in Clarkston Wa, which is only about 40 miles away. Going to give them a call today and hope they have the capability and willingness to bend them.

Has anyone else run into an issue on plans page 7 where the actual measurement differs from the call-out? I was copying the sketch with a light-box and engineering paper and noticed that it doesn't quite match up. The Main Spar Inner plate measures 5-7/8" where the call-out is 5-3/4" and the Splice Plate measures 5-13/16" instead of 5-3/4".
        Is this just my set of plans or is is a known issue? If it is a known issue has everyone has just been trimming their plates to the call-out?

PXL_20240423_034412437.jpg

PXL_20240423_034425814.jpg

PXL_20240423_034751566.jpg
        Bill Duncan
        Troy, Idaho
        N53BD - reserved
        Builders-Log

Comment

Working...
        X