Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Companion stringers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Companion stringers

Attaching one of the fuselage stringers is a bit different on the Companion in the area of the rear window. After some discussion with Mark Goldberg and another experienced builder I have carried the upper stringer right through to the door post just like the lower. This does involve cutting a notch for the window stand-off but seems to be the simplest solution and leaves a clean line for the fabric.

IMG_1580.jpgIMG_1576.jpg

Looks good Greg. With the long rear windows and stringers - how the fabric works out and looks takes a little imagination and tinkering with. Mark

Comment

With the latest version tubing layout the notch won’t be needed Stringer goes all the way forward to the door former.

Comment

Originally posted by N942VT View Post
        With the latest version tubing layout the notch won’t be needed Stringer goes all the way forward to the door former.
        Pictures or it didn’t happen Dave. Hahahahaha!

Comment

Did you consider putting a doubler plate on the string there, to ensure it doesn't buckle when the fabric tightens up?

Comment

• gregc
            gregc commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't think it would be necessary but I have noticed a slight compression of the cut-out already due just to the bending stress on the stringer so I think a doubler is a good idea. Not much work and it might save a lot of future frustration.
        Working...
        X