Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model 5 QB kits here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 5 QB kits here

Yesterday we unloaded the truck from the factory packed with mostly four Model 5 QB kits. Some other parts and a set of Patrol wings as well. The first Model 5 QB kit is now sitting in a customers shop in Nebraska. He was the first one to place an order for the Model 5, so very appropriate he receive the first delivery.

I will take some pics of the kits in a day or two when things are in order.

At the kit factory, they first loaded the kits in the trailer like they do with four place kits. But the Model 5 kits are 2 ft longer. The rear door wouldn't close. So out the kits came and they made some changes and all fit in.

It took a little longer than expected to get the Model 5 kits done and all the production tooling made. The customers waiting for their kits have been very patient. Much appreciated.

Lots of interest in the new big boy. If anyone is serious about one, you should get in touch. Happy to answer questions about the plane & the kits. Mark

That's exciting Mark! I think it will become a very popular kit as the only other homebuilt I can think of that size is the Murpy Moose.

Comment

I can confirm the Nebraska customer is very pleased. If you happen to know someone in the area looking for some 3/4 polystyrene, send them my way.

Colby Osborn
      Mullen/Lincoln Nebraska
      Model 5 Quick Build Kit

Comment

• JohnBergt
        JohnBergt commented
        Editing a comment
        Found your channel yesterday, eagerly awaiting your next video.

Colby that looks like so much fun! I know you're going to be putting the seats in there and making airplane noises any day now. When you do, can you please snap a couple of pictures of the factory seat arrangement? I'm working on an article and would love to be able to show how they are different than the prototype.

Comment

Do we know yet what the price is for the Model 5 Quick Build Kit? And/or plans? When updated docs or plans will be posted for download or purchase? I have an itch that needs planning ;)

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          If you are interested in the QB kit - you should get in touch. Mark 512/626-7886 cell

One of my memories is how much time I spent unwrapping stuff from the bubble wrap. The packaging of the kit is fantastic and well thought out but I don't believe the estimated build time includes the time spent unwrapping.

A positive spin on this is it beats the heck out of having stuff damaged in shipping. The packaging was extremely well thought out. I was impressed. I think IKEA would approve.

Comment

So excited to watch these builds progress as I dream about mine. Best of luck to the builders of the first batch!

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
            can you please snap a couple of pictures of the factory seat arrangement?.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 4 photos.
            Colby Osborn
            Mullen/Lincoln Nebraska
            Model 5 Quick Build Kit

Comment

Are the seats welded in place or are they removable? I don't have a need for the third row.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                Mark Goldberg commented
                Editing a comment
                All the seats are removable. Mark

Colby do you have a build log you'll be doing?

Comment

Rudder I created a builders log with EAA but I haven't decided if I'll maintain it. There are quite a few really good 4-place builder logs existing already, a few of which I plan to build nearly identical to. So I kind of feel like it will be a waste of time. Additionally, I have many friends and family members a fair distance away that are interested in the build. I've promised these people I'd try to document the process for them on my YouTube channel. So the builders log feels a little redundant. Unfortunately, I'm more so recording the 'experience' and the process, rather than a 'this is what I did' or something more instructional. So my videos probably contain little value to those looking for more of a log or educational content. But if you think you can suffer though some poorly chosen music that's too loud and some inexperienced ramblings, hunt up my channel follow along. You can't beat the price!
                Colby Osborn
                Mullen/Lincoln Nebraska
                Model 5 Quick Build Kit

Comment

That’s for sure free is free. Anyway mostly I’m interested in what is different in putting this one together or if you make any worthwhile mods. But also people have different ways of explaining/teaching so I’m always interested in that. What kind of stuff are you putting in? All used/rebuilt parts? That’s probably the way I’ll go. Basic used or cheap gauges rebuilt engine.

Comment

I haven't built either model yet so I don't really know, but it's my understanding that the assembly of the Model 5 will be largely the same as the 4-place. I think it was mostly dimensional and structural changes.

Probably no notable mods for this project. Given my lack of experience and knowledge I plan on sticking to the design and mostly defaulting to Bob and Marks recommendations. The finish and interior will probably be fairly spartan. I will do my best to make things look nice, but at the end of the day it's just going to be a ranch plane. So I probably won't spend a lot of time or money on things that are mostly cosmetic.

I'm currently planning on a 260 hp parallel value 540, but I would like to have a better idea how that may impact CGs and/or limit my prop options before I settle on that. I would love to enjoy the benefits of fuel injection, but I'm having troubles ignoring bobs recommendation given his experience and background and my lack of. I'm currently leaning towards copying one of the existing FI designs that have been working well for many hours, but I still have time to learn more and decide. I think the engine I choose might influence weather I buy new or ask Bob to rebuild one for me.

I would really like to have as clean of a panel as possible and use all new glass with remote mount com and transponder. We'll see if there's budget left for that when the time comes. This was a lot of rambling to basically say I don't really have answers for most of your questions yet. :) Lots of exciting decisions to make but I'm trying to learn as much as possible before making them.
                    Last edited by coosbo; 12-30-2020, 09:02 AM.
                    Colby Osborn
                    Mullen/Lincoln Nebraska
                    Model 5 Quick Build Kit

Comment

Well thanks for the response. Wish I was close I’d love to see how one goes together and maybe lend a hand. I’m at P74 in Nevada.

Comment

Who are a few of the 4-place logs that you’ll be mimicking if you don’t mind me asking?

Originally posted by coosbo View Post
                        Rudder I created a builders log with EAA but I haven't decided if I'll maintain it. There are quite a few really good 4-place builder logs existing already, a few of which I plan to build nearly identical to. So I kind of feel like it will be a waste of time. Additionally, I have many friends and family members a fair distance away that are interested in the build. I've promised these people I'd try to document the process for them on my YouTube channel. So the builders log feels a little redundant. Unfortunately, I'm more so recording the 'experience' and the process, rather than a 'this is what I did' or something more instructional. So my videos probably contain little value to those looking for more of a log or educational content. But if you think you can suffer though some poorly chosen music that's too loud and some inexperienced ramblings, hunt up my channel follow along. You can't beat the price!

Comment

Working...
                        X