Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angle valve cylinder Lycoming 540 baffling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle valve cylinder Lycoming 540 baffling

Just wanted to let you Model 5 builders know we are working on a baffling kit for the angle valve 540's or 580's. A friend has a CNC router and he is almost done setting up the .dwg files to cut the patterns supplied by Collin. My friend is extremely qualified to make a good baffling kit as he is an A&P and messes with baffling all the time in his work. Not really any options in the homebuilt world for baffling for the angle valve six cylinder engines. And the certified world is very pricey. It will be a month or two while he tweaks the package. But I give it a high probability of actually working out - so I am letting yall know. Mark

Mark,
    Is this kit available yet? My engine will be ready soon so I'm starting to think about all of this.

Comment

The angle valve 540 baffling is not ready yet. It will be pretty soon. The prototype Model 5 is at the shop where my friend works so he can use it to trial fit all the pieces. It seems the front and sides were more or less finalized last week. He was working on the aft part of the baffling. He realized that the baffling will be different for Type I & Type II engine mounts. I suggested he just leave that area to builders - supplying some pieces/material which can be cut to seal around the engine mount "ears". I suggested that soon he should send out the first set to a builder as kind of a trial run. Could be you Tyler.

I expect to go by there today or tomorrow, and will have an update. Mark

Comment

Mark,

Do you have any updates on this?

Comment

A prototype set of baffling will go out to a beta tester in the next couple weeks. The baffle set has taken shape and I think will be very well fitting and save builders a ton of time. Getting quite close. Mark

Comment

I wanted to let everyone know that my friend Kyle Weiss is now offering his baffle sets for the angle valve 540's. As I said above - Kyle is an A&P and quite capable. The baffle sets have been sent out to three or four customers and everyone is happy. There are differences in the different 540 cases - especially on engines from Bob's shop since they have lots of different cores. But it is well worth it.

Kyle can be reached at 512/663-1517. Phone or text. Mark

Comment

Mark:
              Is there any plans for an IO-360 angle valve baffle Kit?
              Roger
              QB Companion C-9
              N51RK

Comment

Seems like Vans has that one covered?

Comment

Ok. Thanks Jared.
                  Roger
                  QB Companion C-9
                  N51RK

Comment

• gregc
                    gregc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I used the Vans baffle kit for my O-360 angle valve install. It's pretty good but needs modifications/adjustment etc. A kit from Mark would certainly be better but I think most would agree that their limited resources are better spent on things where there is no easy option.

I was complaining to a friend about the fit of my Vans O-540 baffling kit. I thought it was a narrow deck vs wide deck issue. He spent 5 years rebuilding Lycomings at Western Skyways. He said there are several variations of cases in the same engine family 360, 540 etc. They all have slightly different exterior case dimensions. You may need to remove metal in places, add metal in others. The good thing is the fit at the cylinder heads is perfect.

Comment

Working...
                  X