Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Zealand Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand Newbie

Hi All!

I'm a prospective builder from Tokoroa, New Zealand. I am looking at purchasing a QB 4-place kit in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future. Currently doing a lot of research, talking to other builders, and making sure I have the logistical and financial means to embark on this journey. This will be my first aircraft build, so I'm nervous, but having read through a number of build logs, and talking to other local home builders, I'm feeling slightly more confident in my abilities. I am an electronic engineer by trade, and I currently own a Cessna 152 that I fly up and down the country. I also have access to a C-206, Super Cub, and Maule M5. The Maule is what really led me to decide to build a Bearhawk #tailDraggerMasterRace

I look forward to learning more from you all and discussing all things Bearhawk in future!

Cheers

Luke
    Model B 4-Place
    Quick Build Kit #39

Hello Luke. Welcome to the forum. Have you flown in one of the Bearhawks in NZ?

I am in Mexico now working at the kit factory. If you will send me an email, I will do my best to help get you oriented as what is involved building from our QB kit. N95MF@hotmail.com. Most of the kit builders are first time builders. You can do it. Mark

Comment

LukeFrog - there is a thriving community of Bearhawk builders in NZ, particularly the 4-place. There must be over a dozen aircraft either building or flying.

If you ever want to fly one, then let me know. This can easily be arranged.

#BearhawkorDie.

Comment

Hi Battson!

Thanks mate, I may have to take you up on that some time! I've been chatting with Simon over in Rotorua and had a look at his build a couple weeks ago. That was very encouraging for me, and was great to get a little hands-on. I believe there is another in the Waikato/BOP area I've heard through the Aero Club grapevine, that is nearing completion. Definitely need to have a look around (and ideally a fly in) a finished machine while still in the research phase.

Mark Goldberg : Thanks for reaching out. I will definitely be in touch to discuss logistics and learn a little more about the overall process. I only have a few items that are proving difficult to wrap my head around at this stage, and I'm sure you'll be able to alleviate some of that

Cheers
        Model B 4-Place
        Quick Build Kit #39

Comment

G’day Luke,

Welcome! I’m also planning to start a 4 place build, in Christchurch, mid 2020. Keen to liaise with others in NZ during the build process. Much like you, I’m a first time builder and this forum has already been a huge help. I’m currently preparing order lists for tools and hardware etc. Let me know if these can be of help.

Cheers.
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
          YouTube - Build and flying channel
          Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Originally posted by LukeFrog View Post
            I believe there is another in the Waikato/BOP area I've heard through the Aero Club grapevine, that is nearing completion. Definitely need to have a look around (and ideally a fly in) a finished machine while still in the research phase.

Cheers
            There are two more up there, one in the Otaki area and one in the Gisborne area. The Gisborne one is close to completion.

Comment

Also in New Zealand (Waikato) pondering which model to build. Main concern at the moment is the cost of engines. The 4 place make the most sense given I have 3 sons, but they spec big engines with big dollars. I do wonder if salvaged/rebuilt engines are a reality.

Comment

• zkelley2
                zkelley2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Most people do not run factory new engines.

Almost everything is a rebuild.

Salvages generally require a rebuild and if you get a bad crank will cost more than a rebuild.

Bob has very competitive prices.

• LukeFrog
                LukeFrog commented
                Editing a comment
                Whereabouts in the Waikato mate? We're in Tokoroa. I'm also tossing up which engine to look at, Mark has made some very pursuasive point regarding a Titan O-370 or similar, which would probably suit our flying style fine. That said, the big donk is a helluva lot of fun!

Lukefrog, I'm in Whatawhata just outside Hamilton (near Te Kowhai). I'm flip-flopping between the 4 place and the Patrol. I have 3 boys so the 4 place makes a lot of sense, but I'm about to begin my flight training in a SuperCub and I really like the utility and seating arrangement of the Patrol. The boys could take turns going camping with Dad I suppose.

Comment

Hi Lukefrog. Nice to hear you are still keen on building a Bearhawk. It was great meeting you at Hastings fly in a while ago. My LSA is test flying really well. Hope to catch up with you soon sometime. Cheers Nic

Comment

Working...
                X