Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member to talk about batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member to talk about batteries

I'm here as the new battery whisperer... the good, the bad, the ugly.. i want to hear about it. I'm the " alternative choice " in lithium. I've made an offer to the 1st taker.thanks Andy

Hiya, how do your products compare to EarthX? I have two of those in my plane - fit for a IO540.
    Almost flying!

Comment

How do they compare, good Q. to be honest, pretty much the same; hi rate cells, hi amp BMS, all the BMS protections including over charge current protection.
      That just leaves the cosmetics... the case. Which admittedly is a big deal. My new 680Li green case is the exact dims of the lead acid variety. in 3 ah sizes.
      THen i have the smaller compact cases, 3 choices. I have the battery status indicator, external LED. ... what else...price, u can decide that for yourself.
      Take a look at aerolithium.com and tell me whats missing...whats needed... etc.

Comment

I’m still a year or two out from needing a battery but will definitely be using a Lithium of some sort when the time is right. Thermals (I would prefer a firewall-forward mounting to eliminate venting concerns and avoid penetrating the firewall with the starter supply cable), shelf life, easy recovery from inadvertent full discharge (can I use any typical jump pack?) and some way to gather BMS data (state of charge, cell balance state, usable capacity) and present it on a typical EFIS system (I am pondering Dynon and Garmin offerings) are all things I will consider.
        Thanks for joining and welcome to the Forum!

Comment

OK, I will bite…

I just purchased an EarthX battery case/box (still returnable) for the 900 series battery that weighs 4.9 pounds and will be mounted under the pilot seat so I can have a quick connect for a trickle charger.

So, do you have a product that is of similar output? Similar size and weight? Battery box that fits for mounting? Quick connect for a trickle charger? Cost?

I am like most pilots, I am going for the best cost for the same performance/weight.

Thanks

Jay
          N678C
          https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
          Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

I have a Earthx 900. Not flying yet. I wish I had the same with no BMS. To me a BMS in an airplane is another failure point. LifePo4 is very safe at our charge, discharge rates. For other chemistries, I might want a BMS. I still might investigate eliminating the BMS in my EarthX.

Comment

My 680Li has the same dims as the lead acid 680 case. 18Ah, 5.6 lbs, Lithium batteries dont use trickle chargers, those are a lead acid thing.( unless u have a parasitic drain )
              The new line of batteries will be available end of June.
              Battery boxes made to order.
              BMS Q.. a good Q - yes, a circuit board is a failure point. Without it, you have to manage your own overvoltage and undervoltage limits. ( same as a lead battery )
              If you can do that ( with aid of a battery status light) then, no problemo.
              I can make a battery with Dual balancer boards, balance charge port and include the batt status tri color flashing LED. This is the way I made my batteries in 2011 when i
              introduced dedicated lithium aviation batteries to the flying market.
              All things are possible.

Comment

Well, Aug 21 and no takers... too bad. Prices lowered: 12Ah $310 and 18Ah $475,
                Attached Files
                Last edited by aerolithium; 08-21-2022, 03:40 PM. Reason: Dont see any way to be notified on any replies.....

Comment

• Battson
                  Battson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe post a video of one starting an O-540 engine, or at least cranking it for a few 10 second bursts. Haven't seen any such promotional material, had a quick look at the website.

That engine will crank at about 225+ amps and you realize that engaging the starter for " a few" 10 seconds will burn it up and engage the BMS thermal protection right ? Of course, there is another battery that will keep on cranking till it melts.
                Explains the importance of following duty cycle recommendations to maximize aircraft starter life.
                Last edited by aerolithium; 08-21-2022, 11:41 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Originally posted by aerolithium View Post
                  That engine will crank at about 225+ amps and you realize that engaging the starter for " a few" 10 seconds will burn it up and engage the BMS thermal protection right ? Of course, there is another battery that will keep on cranking till it melts.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvnrbUrPy8Y
                  Tell us more.
                  Brooks Cone
                  Southeast Michigan
                  Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
                  X