Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things to see east of the Rockies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter set Iowa is the birth place of John Wayne. The home where he was born and a small museum. Also three early wooden covered bridges.
    Springfield Illinois is the home of the Lincoln museum and home. A great experience.

The Ark Encounter and the Creation Museum are worth the effort to see. The kids will appreciate both activities.
    There are on line summaries of each of these activities to help you determine if they would be a priority for you. Of these I rank the Ark Encounter and the Creation museum very high.

Comment

http://aaca.pilotgetaways.com/amair/map-search.php If it’s still going this might help. I was a founding member long time ago and used it for a trip from FL to BC as part of the trip planning. Between the EAA, the Zenair CH-701 community and this air camping tool it turned into a great trip. But like I said, haven’t looked at it close in years, mainly because it’s pretty useless on the Canadian side. Happy Air Camping!

Comment

That air camping map is really cool. No doubt it will be helpful on future trips.

Unfortunately, we decided we will have to delay this trip for a while. This may seem silly to some but our family dog is getting too old to leave for an extended period of time and he is way too big to bring with us. I'm continuing with the planning so I'll just have to dust off the notes and we'll be ready to roll. I sincerely appreciate all the ideas you guys shared.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Jon, I see that you've delayed the trip (and I sympathize with your reason -- we also have an old dog who is too large and unwell to travel, and it's not kindness to leave him for long periods of time.) But I want to second Nichzimmerman's suggestion of the National Museum of the US Air Force. It's hard to find words to describe the enormous size and scope of this incredible aviation museum. It's probably larger than the Smithsonian Air & Space (just my subjective estimate) and is better laid out and more informative, AND has the best collection of military aircraft, including several one-of-a-kind airplanes, from pre-WWI, LOTS of WWII, plus jets, research, and spacecraft, through the present day. Fighters, trainers, transports, bombers of each era, it's all there on the grounds of Wright Field, which was the primary testing site prior to Edwards AFB.

Maybe not the type of adventure you were seeking for your family, but eventually you will make the trip, and at some point everyone with an interest in aviation should visit this fabulous treasure of a museum.

P.S Really glad that you now have a flying Bearhawk !

Tom

Comment

• rodsmith
            rodsmith commented
            Editing a comment
            I appreciate your comment Tom, I will put it on my list also.

I would highly recommend Washington Island "2P2" Its a developed island but all grass runways that allow camping under the wing. There are bikes and a van at the airport, I can give you van info if you go want to find the keys. An easy island to bike around, the little downtown has restaurants and there are B&B's on the island if you want comfort. A simple bike ride from the airport to School House Beach which is a stunning swimming bay with unique rock formations. The island even in summer does not feel crowded. I usually go and camp a couple times a year. Flying slightly South you can land at the Ephraim airport on the mainland, again bikes and a van are available. This is a tourist heavy area in summer but its in beautiful Door County Wisconsin which often gets compared to Maine.

Comment

If you are going to be in the south-eastern Alabama area, check out the Army Aviation museum at Ft Rucker, AL. The closest airports are Enterprise (EDN) and Dothan (DHN). I haven't been there in several years, but it was pretty cool when I visited. Lots of cool helicopters, and a surprising number of fixed-wing aircraft from the early years of Army Aviation.
            Jim Parker
            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Working...
            X