Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vetterman Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetterman Exhaust

I want to give a big shout out to Clint Busenitz for the exhaust system he just delivered to me for my O360 four place. I had built my own four pipe set up back in '09 when I built the plane but decided to have one of Clint's crossover system with dual mufflers made. It's non standard due to the way Bob built this motor with IO cylinders and a rear carb mount sump but Clint worked through it and made a first class system that fit like a glove. The exhaust tips exit the lower plenum area perfectly, I'm getting allot more heat and the mufflers sound great. Clint was great to work with and I without a doubt recommend him for your exhaust needs, as so many others have. Thanks Clint.
    Dave

Big +1 from me - my Vetterman exhaust has been one of my most trouble-free and easiest to install parts on the whole aircraft.
    I found the guys great to deal with, I had many questions which were all answered.

Comment

Dave, this is exactly the setup that I wanted him to build, but at the time he didn't want to. Do you have any pics or pricing? I think our FWF is the same except perhaps the airbox. Do you have good clearance along the sides of the airbox?
      Last edited by jaredyates; 03-31-2016, 01:53 AM.

Comment

I think you're referring to the intake box that runs forward to the filter element, that was my concern too since it sits about 3 inches below the sump but the crossover tubes fit right between without any modification. If I get what your saying a wider airbox wouldn't interfere at all since the everything is above it. I was also thinking cowl clearance might be a problem adding the mufflers but not an issue. I should have taken a picture with the cowl off but didn't, I'll see what I can get now.

Comment

Originally posted by N942VT View Post
          IO cylinders and a rear carb mount sump
          Curious to see what that looks like. Post pics if you get a chance.

Comment

I recently received my Vetterman exhaust for an IO540. Not only is the workmanship first class.

I have built a lot of exhaust systems for race cars and I thought about building a system myself. Given the cost of materials, I think I came out ahead buying the system. The system came complete with mufflers, heat muffs and mounting hardware. Bolt it in place and it is ready to go.

All in all a great value.

I also got my cylinder shrouds from Van's. Again a very good value and the package came with mounting hardware as well.

Comment

Question from the ignorant one here....

How do you size up and determine the routing of the exhaust system for your particular installation for Vetterman to build. I'm assuming every installation is a wee bit different. Also whats the approximate cost of the package for a 6 cyl.
            Bearhawk 4 Place
            IO-540
            MGL Odyssey Gen 2 EFIS
            ABW 29" Tires
            Appareo ESG ADSB-Out
            Garmin GTR-200 COMM

Comment

• Battson
              Battson commented
              Editing a comment
              Typically, one size fits all, unless you have a very unique engine. They have a flexible connection at the critical spot.

The complete six cylinder setup used to cost US 800 but that was 4 years ago. Inflation would put that about 865 now, ceteris paribus.

• jaredyates
              jaredyates commented
              Editing a comment
              This is the $1500 question so to speak. As I understand it, he has a pile of engine parts in his shop and he mocks up your configuration when he builds the pipes. Back when we were doing our first exhaust system our setup was odd enough that he didn't feel like he could do it, but somehow Dave talked him into it. The 540 arrangement is much more standard and should not pose any problems.

Their pricing for the O-540 is iin the $2000 range
            Bearhawk 4 Place
            IO-540
            MGL Odyssey Gen 2 EFIS
            ABW 29" Tires
            Appareo ESG ADSB-Out
            Garmin GTR-200 COMM

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
              Mark Goldberg commented
              Editing a comment
              Might be with the muffler. But the normal exhaust without the muffler is much less. But I know Mr. Baloo lives up where Winter cold is pretty serious, and the muffler is a source of a lot of heat for the cabin. Mark

Thanks for reporting back Baloo

Comment

At the Oshkosh Bearhawk gathering a few days ago I got to visit for half an hour with Clint, who is pretty much Vetterman Exhaust these days. He's a really interesting fellow, and he also brought his wife and kids. His wife does much of the shipping and packaging. I learned a lot talking with him, and realized that he's also a pilot and airplane builder. In the process of installing our new system that he built, he's done more than should have been expected to get me set up with a system that works. He spends a lot of time on the popular builder message boards, when he's not fabricating exhaust, being a dad, or any of the rest of stuff. When I asked him how he has time to do all of that, he says he just lives and breathes airplanes. I'm impressed and glad to have him around.

Comment

I finally got to install the vetterman system on a 540 bearhawk this weekend the quality is amazing. Thank you Clint

Comment

Was there much customization needed to make it fit your airplane or do you just call them ans ask for an exhaust system for a 540 Bearhawk?
                  Bearhawk 4 Place
                  IO-540
                  MGL Odyssey Gen 2 EFIS
                  ABW 29" Tires
                  Appareo ESG ADSB-Out
                  Garmin GTR-200 COMM

Comment

I got one for my 0-540 from him last summer. You are right, beautiful workmanship. And all you have to do is tell him what engine and airframe it is going on. No special customization required (at least in my case). I haven't installed it yet (the engine is off for overhaul) but I don't expect any issues. I have a Vetterman exhaust on my IO-360/RV-8 and it has been flawless for 500+ hours and 12 years.

-------------------
                    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
                    Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
                    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

• Battson
                      Battson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1
                      Provided your aircraft is per the plans, then all you need to do is mention the aircraft type (4-place) and the precise engine model. They have all the measurements on file. Ours also has 500hrs on it, and not a problem to speak of. Still looks as good as new.

Does anyone have a good phone number for Clint Busenitz?

Comment

What carb air box is being used on the 0-540? The FAB.

Comment

• Aero_tango
                        Aero_tango commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've used the Van's FAB for 0-540 (actually, it's the same FAB as the O-360).
                        If you go that way, you have to adapt the Van's scoop to your cowling...it's a bit of work, but IMHO the look is better than the std box type scoop.
                    Working...
                    X