Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocker Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker Switches

Hello All,
    Has anybody used Aveo Rockrack switches and if so what do you think of them? Where can you buy them ,it seems like A/Spruce have an older version for sale but from what I can find there is or was a flatter version around but I can't seem to find anyone selling them now.

Those appear to be standard "Carling" style switches. The actuators are replaceable and there are a lot of places out there that will make custom laser etched actuators. Most of them cater to the marine and off-road crowd. Here's a couple links to get you started:

Design your custom switch now! - Instant proof TRY NOW Actuators are the top covers of the switch. They easily snap onto any switch body and are interchangeable for complete customization and flexibility. SWITCH ACTUATORS The

The standard in high quality custom rocker switches for all of your auto and marine applications

OTRATTW has a similar snap-together mounting system.
    Patrol #107
    LSA #005

Comment

IMG_4704.jpgIMG_4705.jpg

I used the ones from Spruce. I recall some problems getting the cover plates that I wanted and ended up making a couple of labels myself. I really liked the system! High quality switches and very neat mounting system. Very neat appearance. They do occupy a lot more panel real estate than smaller toggle switches, though.

I did as 'SV' suggested. I figured the engine controls were the only ones that I considered 'immediately critical'. All others are in the left wing root. Only downside is having to run all those wires up the left post.

Bill
      Last edited by Bdflies; 06-06-2019, 12:07 PM. Reason: added pictures

Comment

• svyolo
        svyolo commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking of mounting them in the panel that covers the wing root, forward of the fuel sight gauge. I have seem some S Cubs, etc, that mounted stuff there.
        Light switches, etc, are only going to get used at most once per flight. Lots of times none. Not a lot of panel space. I was looking at the Aveo stuff as well.

Ergonomically, would they be easily accessed (and viewed) from the right side wing root, when operating from the left hand seat ?
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

The technique above – installing in the wing root – is probably a really good idea for Patrol builders. That's where all the switches (except the starter button) are on my Citabria. It helps to reduce panel clutter, and also allows someone in the back seat to reach those switches. That could be either good or bad...

From personal experience, though, I do NOT like having the "often used in flight or during runup" switches up there. I'll probably find room for the Master switch, Primary and Standby Alternator switches, Left and Right magneto switches, and Starter button on my panel. But all the lights will probably go on a wing-root panel, along with their associated fuses. I generally leave the beacon on all the time, so I can tell if I forgot to turn off the Master, so that one might be separate from the others, next to the fuses.

So Beacon and fuses one one level, then Panel lights, Position lights, Strobes, and Landing light switches below that, probably in that order. Then on the panel itself, the Master, Primary Alt, Standby Alt, Left Mag, and Right Mag switches, on the left side where I can access with my left hand, and Starter button on the right.

And if I decide to add an autopilot (still 50/50 at this point), the A/P switch will also go on the panel. I don't want to be reaching over my shoulder or turning my head to find a switch if a servo freezes or something goes haywire! Panel dimmer will also go on the panel.

Now I just need to put all that into CAD drawings. I have a buddy who will CNC mill the panel holes for me if I give him a CAD file.
        Jim Parker
        Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
        RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Even the 4 place doesn't have a lot of panel real estate. Anything non-flight critical is going to go in the wing root. Every switch is just operating a relay on my build, so 22 or 24ga wire is all that needs to be run to the switches.

I will have protected switches for the EFI/EI on the panel, probably recessed and behind a little cover. I haven't decided for sure yet. I don't want to accidentally activate, or deactivate something. Just check the function of the primary and backup after startup, and be able to get to it quickly if something fails.

2 fuel pump, 2 ignitions, 2 VR, 1 computer sw, 1 backup battery sw. These will be miniature toggle switches. Also full size master, avionics master, and start. Everything else gets relegated to somewhere else, which in this case is the wing root.
          Last edited by svyolo; 06-07-2019, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• JimParker256
            JimParker256 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good idea to put the fuel pump switches on the panel as well. I'm planning to use gravity-feed, so not an issue on my build.

"Even the 4 place doesn't have a lot of panel real estate. Anything non-flight critical is going to go in the wing root. Every switch is just operating a relay on my build, so 22 or 24ga wire is all that needs to be run to the switches."

With 2 10" screens there isn't much real estate left. I wanted all my switches below the radio stack but don't have enough room. I could install switches at the far left side, but then I have to switch hands on the stick to access them. I decided to use the Infinity Aerospace stick grip that has a hat switch and 5 others. If not using electric trim, you have 9 switches. With two similarly configured control sticks all will have backups. I plan on using them for ptt, starter, fuel pump, cowl flaps, comm flip flop, transponder ident, AP disconnect, and on the pilot stick a co-pilot switch disconnect.

Comment

Working...
          X