Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another control mounting question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another control mounting question.

In the quick build wing instructions it says to use nutplates for the AN3 bolts that attach the hinges to the spar webs. I can't see any reason not to just use nuts. The only reason to remove the hinges would be if they were damaged, and that would mean the control surface was damaged and you would be repairing it and recovering it anyways. Am I missing something?

If I understand your question correctly, yes I'd think you'd still want nut plates. You're going to cover and paint the control, then attach the hinge. If you used nuts then it would make covering the surface very difficult with the hinge attached.
    Bobby Stokes
    4-Place Kit Builder
    Queen Creek, AZ
    http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

And a fix for a heavy wing is to loosen the hinge, remove one of the bolts, and push one (or more) washers between the hinge and the spar to move the aileron up or down. This would be impossible if the hinge was attached with bolts rather than nutplates (or at least incredibly difficult).

-------------------
      Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
      Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
      RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you thinking of the aileron hinge and aileron spar? I thought you put the washer next to the rear wing spar, rather than the aileron spar?

• rv8bldr
        rv8bldr commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm an idiot, Yes, Jono, that's what I meant. Sigh...

I’d suggest going with nutplates. My hinges are attached to the flaps and ailerons with bolts/nuts. Putting the fabric on in a clean manner was challenging. Installing the hinges after covering would be much cleaner looking.

The washer trick for a heavy wing goes on the wing; washer under the legs of the hinge brackets that attache to the rear wing spar.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Originally posted by swpilot3 View Post
        If I understand your question correctly, yes I'd think you'd still want nut plates. You're going to cover and paint the control, then attach the hinge. If you used nuts then it would make covering the surface very difficult with the hinge attached.
        You are right, didn't even think of that, glad I asked.

Comment

I used nuts to hold my hinges on also, instead of nut plates.

I was happy enough with the covering job. It's almost invisible once all the fairings are in place. The nut plates were going to be a lot of extra work. Like you say, the hinges should not need to come off.

Comment

I forgot about the cover plates for the hinge pockets. We’ve been flying without them so they weren’t on my mind. My dad has them all installed now and you can’t see the areas I didn’t like of the covering job.

Great point Battson.
            Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Certainly easier to install those nutplates now before things are covered. Indeed - you might not ever need to take those hinges off. But if you had the need to do that for whatever reason you would regret not having spent the time to do it before cover. Mark

Comment

Working...
              X