Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adel Clamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adel Clamps

I tried attaching an Adel clamp today for the first time as per the attached photo, to secure a fuel filter.
    The tube I’m attaching to is 3/4 inch, and I’m using an AN742 -12 clamp which appears to be the correct size (is it ??).
    However, when I tighten it, it is not completely tight on the steel tube and doesn’t hold the filter securely. What am I doing wrong? Should I be using a bare steel clamp against the steel frame tube ?

6677B300-09E5-43D2-AA6A-20E50DAF5AE5.jpeg
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

That clamp should have some rubber on it like the other one.

Comment

• Nev
      Nev commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. What are these bare clamps used for ?

• PaulSA
      PaulSA commented
      Editing a comment
      I've used the bare clamps in places under the floor where the cushioned clamps would cause a "bump". As mentioned, a small wrap of insulating tape stops it slipping. Where there are no issues with clearances, I use the cushioned clamps.

There's nothing wrong with using a 742 clamp there, I'd put a wrap of chafe tape around the tube first or some may use a WDG clamp instead but it looks like you may have clearance issues with a cushioned clamp. They are sized in 1/16 ths so a -12 is for 3/4" tube. That filter needs to be well supported and I wouldn't rely on the fuel lines to do it, two points of support would be better.

Comment

I like to have mission critical items well secured and would recommend welding a small tab on to the frame to support that filter.

Comment

I have no issues since attaching my identical filter as you've pictured Nev. 7 years on it's worn down the paint a little, however nothing too sinister.

If you use a WDG clamp there (the one with the rubber) it will make a lump in the floorboards. I used WDG clamps in most other places though.

The WDG clamps do discolour the paint (it goes dark brown) from the rubber though, so don't use them like that in cosmetic locations.

Comment

I recall those bare clamps being very expensive for what they are. I've been using these in varying sizes.
          ​
          Galvanized Steel Loop Clamp, 5/8" ID, 1-1/2" Long,

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
          Dave B.
          Plane Grips Co.
          www.planegrips.com

Comment

Working...
          X