Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with the router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's with the router?

Why are people using a router to finish the edges of ribs ??

minor variations in flange width are inconsequential....

The airfoil dimensions are set by the ridge on the form block, that's all that matters.

Rib blanks are fabricated from flat stock with a router following a template. The router leaves the edge of the blank unfinished, so then its finished using abrasives.

The template used to cut the rib blank is larger than the form block. The Rib Blank has the extra material to form a flange on the form block.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

rib blank template? just trace a washer around the edge of the edge of the form block and cut it out from the sheet, deburr, knock over the flange and you're done, no router needed, just a big ol pair of duck bill tin snips.

Comment

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        The culture of the conversation is improved when I look at multiple methods to do a task with curiosity. When my way is the only way, or I just jump in and start doing a task, then I fail myself and miss out on a learning opportunity, or a better quality or efficiency. When we run out of energy we quit. Whatever feeds a passion will feed the project. That might be jump in with tin snips. Thats ok.
        Last edited by Bcone1381; 02-27-2021, 09:07 AM.

Because I can cut ten at a time and every rib is absolutely identical. Speed and efficiency.
      Christopher Owens
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

you can do this with snips too in half the time, there is no need for the flange edges to be identical, the variation from using snips is very minor anyways, this router business is absolute nonsense.

Comment

• jaredyates
          jaredyates commented
          Editing a comment
          Not buying a rib and spar kit, or a qb wing, could also be categorized as nonsense. In a sense, we airpoane builders are in the nonsense business.

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          Spending a lot of hard earned time and money, to put oneself in potential mortal danger, to spend 100 dollars for a hamburger?

Originally posted by steve1428 View Post
        you can do this with snips too in half the time, there is no need for the flange edges to be identical, the variation from using snips is very minor anyways, this router business is absolute nonsense.
        As long as you're enjoying the process, that's all that matters. Happy snipping!
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

The airfoil dimensions are set by the ridge on the form block, that's all that matters.
          Hey Steve...welcome to the forum

there are a few procedures that can be done different ways

both are correct.....

routers turn out very nice identical parts....

but a router is not required to build a Bearhawk

Comment

I think you have missed what the guys using the router are doing with the router. We are not just finishing the edges with a router. We are using the router to cut the rib out of a piece of flat aluminum. The finished edge is just a part of the total process.

When I did my ribs, I stacked 3 to 4 nose rib blanks into the pattern. It took me less than 4 minutes to cut out those nose rib. That is not only the outer edges but the lightening holes in the center as well. I did use a notch-er, A Whitney Junior punch and aviator snips to finish some details on the individual ribs. That was maybe 1 to 2 minutes per rib.

I have posted else where on this site pictures of the patterns I used to do this. The patterns maybe took 2 to 3 times as long to make as one rib done as close to the drawing as I could.

Just as an aside, I have a lot of metal cutting done by water jet cutting process. The finish I got with the router is better than I could have gotten by water jet cutting and certainly a lot less expensive.

I never used a fly cutter on the wings to do any cuts. I made patterns to do all those cutouts with a router. That included the spars. I have several fly cutters and I did use them but when it comes to very thin material like what is used on the wings, I just am not comfortable with the fly cutter.

I had never used a router to cut aluminum until I learned about doing so on this web site.

Comment

Isn't everything we're doing here nonsense?
              Rob Caldwell
              Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
              EAA Chapter 309
              Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
              YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
              1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

water jet didn't leave a nice burr free edge?

as far as the router goes you still have to rough cut out the pieces with snips first, might as well just cut them to size then.
                Last edited by steve1428; 02-27-2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Lol. Sure. Lets everyone go with that. I am a professional with tinsnips. I use them everyday. I as well have never used a router to cut aluminum before this project. I would never even start to cut all these parts out with snips. I wouldnt have the patience...or time..and, im too fussy. Also, i sure wouldnt have perfect access holes and cover plates in wing skins...etc. fwiw
                  Last edited by Gary Wallace; 02-27-2021, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I don't see what the big deal is, maybe people have weak hands or something, I got the big aluminum handle duck bill and it cuts through this aluminum like scissors through paper, can cut to a line perfectly with it no problem.
                    maybe I'm in the ladies part of the forum by accident

Comment

Oh boy...shouldnt u be snipping some parts out?

Comment

I don't see what the big deal is, maybe people have weak hands or something, I got the big aluminum handle duck bill and it cuts through this aluminum like scissors through paper, can cut to a line perfectly with it no problem.
                        maybe I'm in the ladies part of the forum by accident

This is not the type of content that this site exists to host. Please dial back the aggressive "my way is the only right way" approach, and try not to let your feelings about females show through. We welcome all builders including you, and also including female builders. Feelings of insularity are your own business, but expressions of insularity are the moderators' business.

​​​​I applaud the community's grace in handling your comments thus far. Please take a similar approach if you'd like to continue participating.

Comment

water jet didn't leave a nice burr free edge?

as far as the router goes you still have to rough cut out the pieces with snips first, might as well just cut them to size then.
                          My rough cuts are done with a foot (stomp) shear. The blanks have straight edges, rectangles.. With the router I get my finished for a part like a rib in one pass through the sheet. And by stacking several sheets and doing them simultaneously, I feel I get a slightly better finish. The only time I do anything like trimming and sanding an edge is when I make the MDF board pattern for a particular rid. That part is done to the finished shape for a particular rib less an allowance for the metal thickness.

If I wanted to, I could use a full 4x8 sheet of aluminum and only have to punch 2 jig pin holes in the sheet to align the pattern and 3 holes where I needed to start the router. In the case of a nose rib that is 2 holes starting for the lightening holes in the rib and one for the outside profile. Doing this in a whole would save some material because I could nest all the ribs in the sheet and reduce the scrap.

The water jet uses sand as the abrasive. So the edge is about as smooth as a sand blasted surface and there is a little sand blasting of the surface , especially where they start the cut.. And there is some contamination of the metal from the sand/abrasive. I make a lot of assemblies that I build from water jet cut parts. But either the finish on the edge is not an issue or I then do something to put a better finish on the part.

From start to finish, I spent less that 8 minutes cutting and forming all the flanges on the nose ribs. One of the holes I used for the jig pins on the nose ribs is specified on Bob's drawings and is used to align the nose ribs on the spars.

Comment

Working...
                          X