Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windshield pillar cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield pillar cover

If it were just me, I would leave the pillars uncovered and save weight, but you want your passengers to feel comfortable. I want to cover the fuel lines and wiring going up the pillar. I was thinking two U channels, the outside one being .032 or .040, over the sides of the windscreen, and the inside being .016 or .020, just for the cover. They would share the screws and nut plates on the outside, and have a few screws and nut plates facing inboard to join them together.

Anybody do anything like that?

Hi Svtolo I was thinking the same thing, I have not found any documentation on how to do it so Im thinking its just another opportunity to exercise my creativity in scratch building. I have plenty of pictures of this but its difficult to tell exactly how things are "supposed " to go together. If you find anything please post it. I could use the info.

Comment

I was planning to use Kydex. I like the idea of making two halves. Seems simple.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Something light and cosmetically nice for the inside piece for sure.

Comment

Kydex is flammable. Something to consider.
          Gerry
          Patrol #30

Comment

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            All the large commercial aircraft use it. I wonder how it burns, might try a piece and see. I’ve got a reasonable amount in my build already.
            Last edited by Nev; 06-11-2021, 02:06 PM.

This is what I did, used .032 alum made 2 "U" channels one from the outside of the windshield bent 90 degrees for the door jamb and 1/2 inch bend 90 degrees to capture the inner piece and all held in place by the 3 screws holding the windshields in place. I also used enclosed anchor nuts so as not to have any protruding screws to damage the wiring, pitot static and fuel lines.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
            Gerhard Rieger commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, looking great, do you have a nut plate riveted on the inside that holds the window as well as the covers together?

• svyolo
            svyolo commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah that is what I was thinking.

• davzLSA
            davzLSA commented
            Editing a comment
            I like it,that looks really nice and professional.

Yes I have 3 enclosed nut plates riveted to the tabs on each side, that hold the windshield in and the cover plates so no other fasteners makes a nice clean install.

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
            Gerhard Rieger commented
            Editing a comment
            I have made up similar cuffs but have not made up my mind in how to fit them. I like what you did. Thanks for sharing.

Kydex us diffucult to ignite, it will burn but without a external flame wll self extinguish. I'm curious to see what your experinents show. It will burn at temperatures in excess of 400 degrees. If its 400 degrees inside your Bearhawk you have a big problem. See Kydex.com for more flammability info.
          Gerry
          Patrol #30

Comment

I made up some windscreen pillars today, using Kydex. It took about 2 hours of playing around to fabricate them for a good fit. They’re also quite sturdy with most of their strength coming from the bends. I made the covers in one piece, with 5 sides by folding them around a piece of timber.

I also tried to light a piece up with the has torch. I couldn’t get it to sustain a flame. It melted and smoked a bit, but wouldn’t ignite.

I’m also planning to put nutplates on the tabs, then use machine screws through the windshield, through the Kydex, into the nutplates.

E1E29B1A-0F68-4B81-BB06-00D439024536.jpeg

29CFDC87-DDA7-4D29-909D-E4D638404FA1.jpeg

3BA191B1-FA1F-4A37-9E7B-5D4922342771.jpeg

565E64AA-81B1-4D4F-85DD-32F9FDA90923.jpeg

Last edited by Nev; 06-14-2021, 12:06 AM.
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

I have to try some of that Kydex. I made mine out of .025 and .016. The .025 Al is the outer cover that over the windscreen, bent into a U that forms the door pillar/seal. The inner one is a U that goes under the windscreen at the tabs, covers the fuel lines, and connects to the outer with 3 nut plates. The .025 ones took me a bunch of tries to get the way I wanted.

Comment

Working...
              X