Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearings

I bought two used sets of Cleveland wheels for my plane. Just received new tires and tubes, so ready to install the main gear for the final time. I'm wondering how to tell if the Timken 13889 bearings are good. Visually they look fine but don't want them to be an issue. Thought I would ask before buying new bearings.

I did a little weekend work with an A&P back in college. I remember we had to reppace a set due to pitting from corrosion. But otherwise I think they are pretty long-life parts.

Comment

I would use them unless pitted or scored- roller or race- some guys fail the bearings if they have different shades of grey- don’t know about that.but if they’re smooth then should be good as new.

Comment

Corrosion is the other way they fail, once it's gotten through the case hardening, I understand it's just a matter of time until they fail.
        That said, a failing bearing in a low-criticality application like a wheel, will work for a long time before it totally gives up. They are also easy to monitor by jacking the plane and turning the wheel. Naturally engine bearing etc are treated very differently.

I have a failing bearing in my tailwheel now, and spares on shelf. I will replace once it gets bad enough, as a crumbling tailwheel bearing (one of two) for a wheel that only lands on grass is a non issue. I would be more caution with a main wheel.

Comment

The bearings that came in the wheels weren't all the same. Mostly Timken and some Koyo. They were probably fine but I found a great deal on EBAY, new old stock timken bearings $4.00 each, so replacing all of them.

Comment

Working...
          X