Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel and Brake, proper setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel and Brake, proper setup

I think I have the proper spacing of the wheel on the axle but wanted to get confirmation before installing them hopefully the last time. I machined my axles a little longer than plans. I am using a 1/4" spacer on the axle. With new brake discs and brake pads, when I put the proper preload on the bearings, and with the brake pistons fully retracted, there is about 1/16" of movement possible on the brake pads. In other words, with the pistons extended 1/16th inch the pads would be in contact with the brake disk. This can be adjusted by using different thickness spacers. A thicker spacer would reduce the space between pads and disc.

Never really gave it any thought until I see your post. That sounds like it will work just fine. I like the idea of being able to install shims. What calibers /brake system are you using? Most systems I work with have one caliber fix bolted hard. The other floating on pins. I have also seen dual floating calibers as well.
    I need to porcue a braking system in the very near future.

Comment

Cleveland 6" wheels with double puck brakes.

Comment

The whole system tightens up once it's worn in, there is very little room to play. It all floats on the main support bracket, and self-centres.

Comment

Working...
        X