Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Aviation Hardware - what I learned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Aviation Hardware - what I learned.

I have spent a lot of time over the years at various times trying to find a certain pieces of hardware.....I know the AN or MS number, and all the specifics, but I can find anyone who has it. I often access hardware specs from a company that called General Aviation Hardware's website.

But General Aviation Hardware has always been a bit of a mystery to me. So I did some research, gave them a call and asked a few questions. I thought I'd pass along what I have experienced and what I learned, and wondered if anyone else is using them.

Their website is not active, difficult to navigate, understand and impossible to order from. HOWEVER, the ability to get specifications on aviation hardware items is unprecedented.

So today I talked with Kenna.....Here is what I learned...

-This is a small family run company, and everything ships out of Billings, MT.
    -They will send anyone a real paper catalog. The catalog is 99% hardware drawings specifications. It's handy to have in the shop. Catalog with No prices, no hype, not much other than drawings and specs.
    -Others have copied there catalog and they don't appreciate it, so its not online in an electronic format anymore. You must get a paper copy.
    -They are testing (working on????) a new website.
    -A real person always answers the phone. 888-247-2738
    -I can call or send an email with what I need and they'll get back with me with a quote.
    -I believe if its in there catalog but not in stock, they will get it for me.

One supplier I have used almost exclusively over the years for hardware has inventory and ships from 4 locations. As they've grown, Ive noticed multiple shipping fees from a single order. I learned there is a way to avoid multiple shipping fees but it seems to be secrete. I recently had a single machine screw sent to me....24 of 25 were in 1 location.

So I think I'm going to try using General Aircraft Hardware more often....as my default; something must feels right to me.

Are others using them?

Last edited by Bcone1381; 08-11-2022, 07:29 PM. Reason: clarification
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Sounds like a nice idea for a Beartracks article, maybe stop by and visit them to get a tour.

Comment

Somehow I managed to miss this post. Thanks for the information. I’m ordering a catalog
      Scott Ahrens
      Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Brand X has a nice website and has treated me well. But I have long suspected they are a shipping charge company that stocks airplane parts.

Comment

The company is Genuine Aircraft Hardware. They have a great presence on FB too. https://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/

Comment

I needed some oversized shank 1/4” bolts for the tail wheel-stinger assembly. Supplied holes are too big and allow movement that will cause rapid wear.
            The size I needed wasn’t in stock but they found some and eventually sent them to me. I remember they were extremely busy. Prices for general size hardware seemed to be reasonable. I dealt with the MT outlet and any conversations I had with the staff were great. I wouldn’t be using them for nickel and dime stuff because of the shipping but on specific items or a large quantity order, I’d be comparing prices with the other guys.

Steve P203

Comment

Working...
            X