Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rudder Pedal Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears that lengthening the pedal cable arms a bit or shorten the cable attach arm at the rudder, would give more rudder travel, for any given pedal travel. That might let you adjust the pedal position to your liking.
    Probably not what you wanted to hear, though...

Bill
    Last edited by Bdflies; 10-21-2016, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bdflies
      It appears that lengthening the pedal cable arms a bit or shorten the cable attach arm at the rudder, would give more rudder travel, for any given pedal travel. That might let you adjust the pedal position to your liking.
      Probably not what you wanted to hear, though...

Bill
      Yeah, I'd really like to avoid more welding and painting. Moving the pedals aft to 5" would solve my issue I think but then I may run into the brake caming over and locking the pedal issue. I'm going to get some shorter springs and hook everything else up and see how things feel.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post

Yeah, I'd really like to avoid more welding and painting. Moving the pedals aft to 5" would solve my issue I think but then I may run into the brake caming over and locking the pedal issue. I'm going to get some shorter springs and hook everything else up and see how things feel.
        If that would make it all perfect for you except for the overcamming issue, then do that and simply install a stop to prevent the overcamming issue.

Comment

Moving the pedals will still require welding and reprinting.

What I'm really trying to do here is figure out why I'm having this issue, what dimension is off or whatever, and correct it. It is also possible that this is just how it is and with correct length springs and all the brake lines hooked up it is a non issue.

Edit: Shorter springs made all the difference. I still don't like it but looks like a non issue.
          Last edited by whee; 10-22-2016, 01:59 PM.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I am in the process of mounting my rudder pedals. If I do it as per the plans I have no room on the mounting tab. At the furthest forward I am at 4.5 inch

Comment

Originally posted by SimonNicholson View Post
              I am in the process of mounting my rudder pedals. If I do it as per the plans I have no room on the mounting tab. At the furthest forward I am at 4.5 inch
              Hi Simon,

I suggest putting them as close as you can to that forward edge (as you've pictured).

I have mine located at the forward edge too. But that base plate might not be welded in the same exact location on every fuselage.

Comment

As far as the "correct" location - scale off the plans the distance from the firewall tubing for the rudder pedals. There is some flexibility in that a little difference either way will not hurt anything. A little is OK. Some builders that are short try to move their pedals aft and can end up with bad geometry with the master cyls. Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg
                  As far as the "correct" location - scale off the plans the distance from the firewall tubing for the rudder pedals. There is some flexibility in that a little difference either way will not hurt anything. A little is OK. Some builders that are short try to move their pedals aft and can end up with bad geometry with the master cyls. Mark
                  Thanks Mark. I did scale it off the plans and tried to put it at 4'' but that would have the mounts forward of the mounting plate. Where I have it in the picture is 4 1/2''

Comment

Originally posted by Battson
                    Hi Simon,

I suggest putting them as close as you can to that forward edge (as you've pictured).

I have mine located at the forward edge too. But that base plate might not be welded in the same exact location on every fuselage.
                    Thanks Jonathan, I am at the stage of trust but verify with almost everything. I re read your old post with the over cam brakes with interest, but I am confident that pressure in the cylinders won't allow that in this position.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg
                      Do you have brake fluid (5606) in the master cyls. If not, they will behave differently when filled.

I am not sure I understand the issue either. With the pedals located properly with 5606 in the master cyls and rudder pedal springs attaching them to the firewall - I do not see there is any issue. If you try to locate your pedals further aft - the geometry gets screwed up and things can happen. Mark
                      I think it should be fail proof even without brake fluid, since it can leek

Comment

Originally posted by Brandaoandre View Post

I think it should be fail proof even without brake fluid, since it can leek
                        With all the springs, cables, hoses, and fluid pressure in place - there's no way it can over-cam.

But of course, you can't percieve that when you only have a bare fuselage to play with.

If the fluid leaks out while you're using the plane, you have much bigger problems than the pedals over-camming.

Comment

Working...
                        X