Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto conversion - Engine Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THEN-- there is the whole topic of small turboprop engines. There is one made here in central florida in association with an engine co. from
    Check Slovakia--- weighs about 150 lbs and makes 260 HP. Then here is a walter 601 if you wanted to do a bearhawk 5 sized Kit----- I think its in the 650 HP range---- and still lighter than a io-540 ......

Comment

• Sir Newton
      Sir Newton commented
      Editing a comment
      Walter 601 burns fuel like a 6yr old drinks coolaid! 35gph nothing less

IMHO the turbine would be the way to go but they usually would cost more than the airframe.

Comment

• zkelley2
      zkelley2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Even more of an issue is the fuel burn. You'd need more than the long range tanks to keep any type of range with the thing. And now you're carrying most of your useful load in fuel, so there goes even more of the utility.

I looked at it pretty hard and the airplane just isn't designed for it. The 4ft engine mount you'd need to keep the cg in check, the 25-30gph. If you really want a turbine like the bearhawk, look at the sherpa.
      Last edited by zkelley2; 12-11-2021, 02:51 PM.

Just to get the debate on auto engine conversions going again, I believe this is an LS376 they are using.

With the FAA’s decades-long crusade to eliminate leaded avgas and lower noise, we mistakenly believed the agency would at least consider, if not welcome, any feasible solution. After all, we had a flying prototype that proved the concept and a 60% lower cost that was needed for a solution to be adopted. We soon learned that the FAA was less than enthusiastic about certified aircraft transitioning to experimental, regardless of their age or condition.

Comment

Working...
    X