Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood strips fitted to horizontal stabaliser and elevator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood strips fitted to horizontal stabaliser and elevator

Hi everybody, I have ordered the wood "kit" from Mark at Bearhawk aircraft and I just want to know if anybody have fitted them and if you can sent me your photos. I want to get it right the first time around

thanks

Perhaps try a search, there should be a couple of threads of discussion.
    I have posted my photos here, I am sure.

The nut plates are for attaching the fairing between the fuselage and stabiliser.

Comment

Thanks, This will help me allot, I will look for other sites as well. Mark told me that if I decreese the angle of incidence of the Horizontal stab to 3 deg , I can expect a 3-4mph increase in airspeed, Was this your experience?

Comment

I never flew with the standard (flat) tail wings.

I can tell you that we cruise very consistently at 125 KTAS from 3,000ft or higher, running lean of peak at 42 L/hr (11 Gal/hr).
        A little more fuel (less than a gallon) easily brings than up to 130 KTAS, still lean of peak. BTW - going rich of peak only buys you a few knots more for close to 50% more fuel flow.

We set our tail at roughly -3 degrees incidence, and that seems to be perfect with an aft of middle CG location. At forward CG locations, you naturally need to trim up a little more elevator. To achieve this angle, I just left the little spacers out, and filed back the welded tube which passes through the leading edge of the stabiliser.

Comment

Thanks, I just received my wood pieces, I believe I will be able to get it right, what glue did you use?

Comment

• Battson
            Battson commented
            Editing a comment
            I just used a good quality two part epoxy. I was careful to score and roughen the paint quite a lot, to give the glue something to hold onto.

We like the T88 epoxy. Great glue. Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark,

Comment

How did people attach the stab to fuse fairing with the strips?

Comment

I believe I copied Battson and epoxied nutplates into the inboard most wood formers.
                Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

This is how we did it. We were fortunate enough to get the revised plans from Bob before finishing our tail so we got the dimensions of the new airfoil from Bob. Brent printed it out and I cut out wood shapes to match. Then I stained and varnished them. I then bolted them to the tail using brass bolts. Here are pics showing the wood installed in the Horizontal Stabilizer as I am covering it with Oratex silver fabric. You can also see the "finished product", at least so far as the major covering goes. rsz_wood_stringers.jpgrsz_wood_stringers_2.jpgrsz_horz_stab.jpgrsz_horz_stab_2.jpg

Comment

• James
                    James commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like that approach - a bit heavier than the individual strips, but you're not relying on the glue bond.
                    I've just done this task the last few weeks - takes forever to do a nice job!

James
                Working...
                X