Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plate nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Bd.

Comment

I found the -26 to be too long for the tunnel attach to the firewall, they run into the frame above. I tried shortening them myself but couldn't get a tip I was positive wouldn't shred the threads on the nut plates so I'll have to order shorter ones just for that. This was through 2 sheets of 0.017" thk Ti so your situation might be different.
      Dave B.
      Plane Grips Co.
      www.planegrips.com

Comment

Thanks. My Wicks kit came with 500 roundhead 3/8 screws. I doubt I will be using many of them.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Those should have been flat head screws. I would return them to Wicks and get the correct ones. Mark

Originally posted by Archer39J View Post
        I found the -26 to be too long for the tunnel attach to the firewall, they run into the frame above. I tried shortening them myself but couldn't get a tip I was positive wouldn't shred the threads on the nut plates so I'll have to order shorter ones just for that. This was through 2 sheets of 0.017" thk Ti so your situation might be different.
        One trick I've used to clean up the threads after cutting a bolt to a shorter length is to chase the threads with a die of the appropriate size. Use plenty of cutting oil. It's cheap, and makes the job so much easier!
        Jim Parker
        Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
        RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• Archer39J
          Archer39J commented
          Editing a comment
          I used a nut to de-chowder the threads, but a die is a good idea too. It's more the tip that I don't like, unmodified screws have a tapered end. It seems with a cut off end it's easier to get the screw cross-threaded, but maybe I'm just being paranoid...

Seems like I remember that they make a special "chasing die" for cleaning up threads where you trim the bolt----- that
        does not cut any of the shank as a normal die does. It might not be much--- but it might be enough to lower the friction
        in the Ny-lock feature. Just a thought......

Comment

If you're really stuck these are all great ways to shorten a screw, but being that they cost about 7 cents each, it seems far better economy to postpone the job and order the ones with the right length, doesn't it?

Comment

• Archer39J
            Archer39J commented
            Editing a comment
            And that's why my tunnel is leaning against my wall, waiting for my next ACS order lol.
        Working...
        X