Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are axle bushing inserts necessary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are axle bushing inserts necessary

Does anyone really think the axle bushing reinforcements are necessary and worth the b.#. to install them??

If you are planning on flying with skis, then yes.

Comment

I’m not planning to install the inserts. None of the BHs I’m familiar with that to my kind of flying use them.

A couple guys have said the inserts make installing skis harder and they weren’t sure they were actually necessary. I had hoped to be on skis this year but it isn’t going to happen. Hopefully next year.

kestrel, did you install the reinforcement insert?
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I have no idea why the inserts would make skis harder to install. The reinforcements are friction fit inside the axles, no change in OD. Some Piper gear have 1 1/4in axles and the skis are for 1 1/2in axles. Those have to be bushed. Maybe that's what they are referring to. Otherwise it makes no sense. Here's how I did mine, Rob Taylor did his the same way.

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Ah, because your taking about straight skis and I’m talking about retractable wheel skis. Retracts attach via the axle ID.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
            alaskabearhawk commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok, make perfect sense now. I wish I could afford retracts! Those TrickAir units are amazing. But as much ski flying that I would be doing straight skis will be just fine.

• whee
            whee commented
            Editing a comment
            I wish I lived where I could use straight skis! I’m told good straight skis perform better than any retract plus they weigh less and are cheaper.

I’m planning to build a set of Fli-lite 3000 copies.

I haven't yet.

It makes me slightly nervous when I think about it, but I don't know if I ever will. I just inspect for cracks every 100 hours. It would take a long time to crack through.

I understand the inserts were a response to Pat F's crash in the desert after his axle cracked through, plus one other machine which was also scratch-built. I understand the factory welds have never cracked, on model A or B aircraft.

However, the welds have been redesigned to account for this risk on the newer gear and shouldn't need reinforcement.

Comment

Working...
          X