Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilling flap actuation arms to torque tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling flap actuation arms to torque tube

Guys, I'm getting close to the point where I have to drill the bolt holes for the flap drive arms. I am looking to see how you guys have nailed this down. I'm concerned that once I drill them I will not be able to get them off the torque tube because of burrs from drilling. Also is there a trick to getting the holes drilled straight through the tube/arm assembly. Any advice would be great!
    Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
    Project Plans #1299
    N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

My advice would be to not drill them until you are no longer in a position to need to remove them. The geometry at the wing root is quite inflexible, so you would want to have the wings mounted anyway.

Comment

Wait until they are built and mounted? Is that how you did it?
      Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
      Project Plans #1299
      N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

That's right.

Comment

Theirs now way I would do it until they are mounted and I am ready to do the final rigging of the flaps in the fuselage. Getting them just right before then would be a challenge in my mind.

Comment

Yes - definitely wait until the last possible moment - there's not any room for error in that space.

Comment

Just to make sure, Flaps at "0" is defined by the flap pushrod being pulled by the flap return springs, held against the tube (with a little padding). The flap pushrod will be adjusted so the flaps are "0" at that point. The flap handle handle and cable will be adjusted so that there is at least enough cable to allow the flap handle to make it to the bottom detent. There may be some slop in the cable between the bottom detent, and the first notch.

Comment

As far as drilling the holes - you are good. As far as the flap cable goes - the little triangle should be close to the pulley when the flaps are down all the way. Mark

Comment

Working...
                X