Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optimizing STOL capability - building light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizing STOL capability - building light

The thread title is my goal. Knowing of the Riblett GA 30613.5 makes me prefer the Model B but if the A can accomplish my goals then so be it.

I am hoping some here can tell me what they have accomplished so I have a baseline to consider. For example, is it feasible to achieve a sub-200' takeoff? Has anyone examined the PSTOL flaps from Airframes Alaska to know what changes would be required to integrate these into the wing?

Yes, you can get sub 200ft, mostly empty.

Someone did put the PSTOL flaps on. Sounds like it was a significant amount of engineering.

If you're looking to win competitions, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a real bush plane that can haul things required for real backcountry flying, the bearhawk is it.

Comment

• Sir Newton
      Sir Newton commented
      Editing a comment
      You should enter a STOL compation. There are only gross weight categories. That is it. No experiment or certified. You enter your plane & compete against other aircraft in your weight category. It is that simple.

• zkelley2
      zkelley2 commented
      Editing a comment
      There's more stol competitions 50 miles from my house than anywhere in the world. I'm quite familiar with how they're run. Not a single one allows experimental vs certified because it's incredibly unfair to certified. Certified guys would stop showing, they'd never finish in the top 10 of a weight class.
      The reason I can't win in the bearhawk is because I'd be competing against the 2500lb cubs with slats and fowlers.
      Last edited by zkelley2; 02-18-2022, 08:48 AM.

• Jazz3006
      Jazz3006 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey zkelley2, I found this thread while trying to find out if someone has used the P-STOL flaps on a Bearhawk. I've used google straight up as well as the internal search function with no luck... Do you have a link to the one you were talking about by any chance?

No desire to enter competitions...my interest is in real world operations. The LSA folks can own this as far as I'm concerned. Nothing can touch the flight speed of the Bearhawk.

Comment

Originally posted by RVC View Post
      No desire to enter competitions...my interest is in real world operations. The LSA folks can own this as far as I'm concerned. Nothing can touch the flight speed of the Bearhawk.
      The numbers Mark posts are pretty spot on. 2500 take off weight in 500ft with the 260hp 540. The useful load it up to you.

Comment

I have befriended a personal friend of Bob's and he, and friends, built four 4-place aircraft in his hangar. Enormous project as a plans built aircraft but despite this fact people do complete them. It's difficult to restrain the enthusiasm for an experience like this.

Comment

What’s the phrase; Light as possible, heavy as necessary. My 4-place weighs just under 1400lbs and that includes probably 50lbs of stuff I deem necessary for my mission.

The search function is your friend; all this stuff has been talked about in detail including the install of P-stol flaps.

A stock BH can achieve great performance but it takes a skilled pilot. A sorta ok pilot, like myself, can achieve respectable performance as well but not sub 200ft.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Like others have said build it light, no extra stuff, fancy interior, or a heavy paint job.

If you want to compete in STOL competitions find a experimental cub. Like zkelley2 said in stol completions all experimentals are all in one class or they might put the LSA’s into a separate class but regardless you’ll be competing against most of the cub variants. The Bearhawk does perform well but you’ll never beat a carbon cub.

A few years ago they had a STOL competition close to where I live so I entered it. It was fun but I was competing against LSA’s and all the cub variants. It was an eye opening experience because a lot of the certified airplanes were more experimental than the real experimentals, Such as hidden nitros, illegal electronic ignition, high compression pistons, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by bearhawk2015 View Post
              Like others have said build it light, no extra stuff, fancy interior, or a heavy paint job.

If you want to compete in STOL competitions find a experimental cub. Like zkelley2 said in stol completions all experimentals are all in one class or they might put the LSA’s into a separate class but regardless you’ll be competing against most of the cub variants. The Bearhawk does perform well but you’ll never beat a carbon cub.

A few years ago they had a STOL competition close to where I live so I entered it. It was fun but I was competing against LSA’s and all the cub variants. It was an eye opening experience because a lot of the certified airplanes were more experimental than the real experimentals, Such as hidden nitros, illegal electronic ignition, high compression pistons, etc...
              Yup, the third leg of short take-off performance (within pilot and builder’s control) is thrust. Thrust through engine power and/or propellor type and pitch. The other two legs of the triangle are pilot skill and weight as stated.

Comment

I attended one STOL contest here in Texas where a guy was "competing" in his stock Champ, flying with one of his grandkids in the back seat. He didn't "place" in the contest against the Carbon Cubs, but if there had been a prize for "consistency" he might have won it...

And I betcha he had more fun than the rest of the competitors combined! Big smile on his face before, during and after each phase of flying, and an even bigger smile on the grandkids that flew with "Pops"... I was more jealous of THAT guy than the folks in their CC's and highly modified Aviats that placed much higher.
                Jim Parker
                Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Working...
                X