Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a 4-Place need adjustable aileron trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a 4-Place need adjustable aileron trim?

I am scratch building a 4-Place and I am wondering if the ailerons require adjustable trim. I see no provision for it. I built and fly an RV6 and it definitely requires adjustable aileron trim.

I'd say no. Rudder trim, maybe, but no need for aileron trim in my experience, if the plane is rigged right.

Comment

David, I’m curious, what conditions require an aileron trim? I’ve never flown an airplane that I felt needed it.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

The RV-7 I’m flying has a noticeably different control pressure as fuel burns or if one pax is significantly different weight. Not a big deal not to have it, but I could see it being nice to have aileron trim to be able to cruise hands off.
      Last edited by TLyon; 10-09-2022, 11:14 PM.

Comment

My RV6 is the same way. When I carry a passenger, I trim it for hands off and then when I fly by myself, I have to retrim. Perhaps the high wing and improved stability of the Bearhawk is the difference. Thank you for the response. Now I feel better about moving forward without it.

Comment

• rodsmith
          rodsmith commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry for off topic comment, your putting the M14P in your plane? If so I sure want to see pictures.

If you had hard points under the wings for bicycles and the like, you might appreciate both roll and yaw trim.

Comment

I do reflect on this question - I think if people all installed aileron and rudder trim, most planes would be 1 to 3 knots slower because they would all be out flying around out of rig

Rigging a plane right is an iterative and somewhat tedious process of chasing down gremlins, until you're within the margin for error.

Comment

Working...
          X