Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

plans detail question----

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plans detail question----

If ---- it turns out there isnt tubing available for tubing kits from either bearhawk or the VR canadian place---- then that would leave me doing it the hard way. (I wanted a tubing kit to avoid as much tube coping as I could)

Looking at page 18 of the model B plans----
    Im looking at the view of the bottom of the fuse. The drawing shows the front to back distances between the stations---- but I dont see any lengths
    for the tubes that go sideways across the stations...... where do I get those lengths ?

and another question---- if I scratchbuild ----- how do I tell where Bob wants the tubing splices ? The plans dont seem to show any of those.........

Has the fuse. ever been put into a 3-D program so I could view it and see the individual junctions ? ( im sure VR has - but they prob wont share that---)

Tim

Your not looking carefully enough. Check the section cuts on a different sht. Keep looking, all will be revealed. It's infrequent that you hear of missing dimentions. You may have to do some scaling to locate splices. There are probably 50 3D mockups of the 4 place out there. I wouldn't trust any of them. Coping tubes is good for the soul. It's honest work you can be proud of. You will never regret doing it. Anything that keeps you up at night, call Bob.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

Comment

thanks Gerald--- was looking for a hint-----I KNOW it hidden in there somewhere--- :-)
      can you explain what you mean "scaling" to locate splices ?

oK --- I see that there is a cross section view of each station. Thats what I was looking for on that issue !

I am thinking if I have to order raw tubing--- the splice points will determine how long the tubing will need to be----
      at least for the longerons---- that was where the splice question comes from. I think UPS will do up to 8 foot lengths.
      I think I remember -- longer is motor freight. (?)
      Last edited by fairchild1934; 12-30-2022, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• rodsmith
        rodsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        There are no splice joints designed into the fuselage longerons. Not to say you couldn't, if you want to go that route, I would contact Bob for his advise. All the tubing necessary for the fuselage can be packed into a 22 to 24' x 8" diameter tube. That's how my fuselage was shipped. Full random lengths is the cheapest way to go or at least it was 20 years ago.
        Last edited by rodsmith; 12-31-2022, 01:04 PM.

I haven't built a fuselage, but my impression is that you can't make a list of all the tubes you need with precise lengths. Rather, you'll locate the main pieces then custom make the short pieces to fit.

Comment

I don't believe Bob designed the airplanes for UPS, standard lengths for steel are 20-21 feet. If you want to by it shorter then look to 43.13B for splicing methods.

Comment

Yes---- ok----- no splices would be the nicest. The pipers have a splice right about half way. But that may have been because they wanted to build the front and rear in different production lines (?)

if the tubing is cheaper getting the whole 20 feet uncut--- that would be the way to go I would think----if the freight didnt offset it too much- or at all---
          There are probably 4 or 5 sizes that full lengths would be economical. (in terms of linear feet needed--)

Comment

Working...
          X