Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seat catch spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat catch spring

Hey folks

I'm giving up trying to find a spring locally that I can use for the seat catch on the front seats of my 4 place. Does anyone have the specs for a spring that works, or a part number from a supplier that they used? I have bought a bunch of springs that are close, but don't fit for one reason or another. I've been through the Avipro manual and couldn't find a part number, and searched the archives as well. I figured that since there are a lot of you guys already flying that you must have solved the problem already.

Thanks in advance
    -------------------
    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Hi Mark,

I had a spring laying around the shop that worked perfectly. I'm almost certain that it was a left over spring from the unused canopy jettison mechanism for an RV-6. The spring would have covered both seats but I botched the second cut :-(

I'm going to call Vans and see if I can get another.

So I had Vans send another. Turns out that my memory was correct. Bad news, it was $5 each plus shipping. But, cut to length, it is perfect for the seat adjuster.

I think the spring will work well for the flap handle as well.

Wes
    Last edited by Wes Ragle; 11-20-2014, 07:52 PM. Reason: Turns out it was the jettison handle spring.

Comment

This is what I got at my local hardware store: http://www.midlandhardware.com/682245.html#.VFHBdfnF-So. Amazon sells them too.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Thanks guys. The link to the hardware store package was perfect. It had all the specs I needed.

I love the Interwebs
        -------------------
        Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
        Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
        RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

I bought a package of assorted compression springs from Tractor supply. Found one that fit the catch and cut it to length with a cutoff wheel. -Matt

Comment

I found mine at ACE Hardware. I bought a few that we close in size, and one worked great. I wish I could tell you which # it was in their display. It's installed currently or I'd pull it out to measure.

Comment

Hi Guys,

just installing the seat adjust mechanism now - it's the older style where the ears clamp to the riser tube.

Do you have to shave anything off the top of the engagement pin in order to make it sit flush with the sliding face of the seat track?

Also, I'm wondering if this is part of the final fit out of the airframe, but do you then drill holes in the seat track for this pin to engage into??

Thanks,

James

EDIT:
              Ok, so normally I would delete my questions, because it became more obvious after I'd worked it out. But it took 3 trips to the hardware store, and about 3 hours :-(

(Here's the inside deal, and fills in some of the gaps from bearhawk tips. Don't use the old PDF version of bearhawk tips, it's lacking lots of important details which have been added since Jared setup the online one. I need internet in my hangar.)

The seat pin shaft has two washers welded on. I initially tried to use a spring the same diameter as the shaft, which was then compressed between the bottom washer and the bottom cap. This is not right: you need to find a spring which passes over the lower washer, but doesn't pass over the upper washer (1/2" OD). The pin will only sit flush with the tube when the bottom washer is bottomed on the end cap.

Then I found this post on the forums. The spring in the photo above works (Australians can find them at Bunnings), but I had to grind down the lower washer so that the ID of the spring passed cleanly over it. You can also use a tension spring, and just stretch it out so it can compress.

The ears (if not welded to the tube) can now be tightened up so that it bottoms on the tube. The pin now sits flush with the top of the slider bracket. If the pin doesn't sit flush, drop the end caps down a touch and retighten. Allow for the handle to foul on the bottom of the seat - i.e. bottom the ear caps, and then tighten up the nut on the bottom to get enough throw on the lever. If the mechanism is rough or ratchets, then maybe you need to grind a bit more off the lower washer.

AN970-4 penny washer works well for the lever to push against.

The levers are on, and look cool. I still don't understand how it "locks" the seat into a certain position, to stop it sliding fore/aft. [bearhawk tips clearly says, "drill holes every 1"]

Thanks again guys

James

Last edited by James; 07-06-2022, 05:27 AM.
              The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

Not sure what you are looking for on the seat adjustment. Here's how I drilled mine. I'm assuming you are building your seats:

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

The pin does have some adjustment at the bottom nut. I just put mine in the other day. I tightened the nut until the top of the pin sat just below the hole with the handle pulled all the way up.

20220704_111354.jpg20220704_111406.jpg

Comment

I rounded the top of the pins a bit to make them slide into the holes easier.

Comment

• jaredyates
                    jaredyates commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree and would say don't make the point too sharp, or it will bottom out and not seat where it counts. Think Shorts 330 instead of F-105.

• BravoGolf
                    BravoGolf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know that isn't your comment but Short 330 seats aren't very comfortable.
                Working...
                X