Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kit Order Sequence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit Order Sequence

I'm getting really close to ordering my QB 4 place kit - but I will be ordering them in stages, not ordering the fuselage and wings at the same time - I realize I will pay a little more this way but its the only way I could keep the wife happy (and we all know the saying). Most that I have talked to have said to order the fuselage first because that is where the bulk of the time is spent. However, I was thinking of doing the wings first - the reason being that baring a wing foil change - there is not much in the wing that could change.. meaning if I do my wings first and it takes me 4 years to finish my build - there is probably not going to be much difference in the technology that is in the wings - the LED lights installed will still be state of the art. Wheres the panel on the fuselage if I started that first - at the pace we are seeing innovation with technology - the instruments (electronics) could be outdated before I'm finished with the plane. Now I realize that could also be said once I start flying... Any pro or cons on the order from those who have blazed the trail before me - or is this just a case of "its does not really matter, just get off your ass and start".

Mr. Corefile (whatever your name might be) - you are welcome to call and discuss this on the phone. 512/626-7886. Mark

Comment

Corefile, What's your time frame? Depending on various things I think you'd blast through the wing work pretty quick and then be stuck waiting permission from the boss to order the fuselage. If you do the fuselage first you could not finish the panel and engine till the very end of the build, after the wings. I agree, if you did the panel in the beginning you'd likely regret it. I've changed my panel plans three times since I started building because new options have come available.

If it were me I'd try to work out a deal with Mark for a unpainted fuselage that was more complete than the "Basic Fuselage" but not quite as complete at the QB. Once the fuselage is done, minus the panel and FWF, you'll be ready for the wings and the boss would likely approve because it had been a year or two since you bought the fuselage.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Chris has some good suggestions. I if I could only purchase a partial kit I would purchase the airframe first and wings second. There is a lot more work to be done in the airframe. Face it, I can't afford to keep up with the growth of technology. Spend some time identifying what your needs and wants are in a panel. Work with your radio shop to determine what systems you will need to purchase and install or plan for during the build. After the wings are built and the plane is assembled you can then purchase the latest and greatest panel and install it. The growth of technology is so fast that you can expect that some of your choices will be outdated in 12 months. If you have made a good plan your basic structure will still be sound. Build your structure so that you can easily service everything. You will have an aircraft that you can enjoy for a long time and upgrade as you see fit in the future.

Comment

The Patrol is my 4th homebuilt and have always done the wings and tail surfaces first. I found the wings and surfaces were a lot of work and like to get them finished, painted and put away, ready to go to final assembly at the airport. It gives you a lot of time to decide how you want to do the engine and panel, and when done with it, your are close to flying.

Comment

I can't speak specifically to a patrol wing build but my guess is that it would be similar to a Bearhawk. With good planning one could probably complete a wing up to paint in 40 hrs. Add another 40 hrs for a flap and aileron covered and painted. The second set should take less time. My point here is that there is not a great amount of work here when compared to the fuselage. If you could get your hands on a core engine you could build your firewall forward with all your systems also.

Comment

Originally posted by tailwind View Post
              I can't speak specifically to a patrol wing build but my guess is that it would be similar to a Bearhawk. With good planning one could probably complete a wing up to paint in 40 hrs. Add another 40 hrs for a flap and aileron covered and painted. The second set should take less time. My point here is that there is not a great amount of work here when compared to the fuselage. If you could get your hands on a core engine you could build your firewall forward with all your systems also.
              The wings are not anywhere near the work that goes into the fuselage, you are right about that. And as has been said, you can't finished the fuse without the wings.

I think each wing took me a lot longer than 80 hours. Even just the nutplates, hanging the control surfaces, riveting, and painting probably took 80 hours for each wing. I would figure on a larger number for planning purposes, particularly if it's your first build.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg
                Mr. Corefile (whatever your name might be) - you are welcome to call and discuss this on the phone. 512/626-7886. Mark
                Hey Mark - name is Paul. We've talked a few times on the phone - I mentioned ordering wings first and you suggested fuselage. I'll give you a call next week and we can discuss further. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Paul.
                  If you are after the 4 place then the new BH Bravo QB would be the way to go. New wing profile and updates for faster with better performance. It can't be too far off from becoming available.
                  Glenn

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                    Mark Goldberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glenn - we are making and selling the new Model B kits now. Mark

Originally posted by Glenn Patterson
                  Hi Paul.
                  If you are after the 4 place then the new BH Bravo QB would be the way to go. New wing profile and updates for faster with better performance. It can't be too far off from becoming available.
                  Glenn
                  I sent an email to Mark the day after it was announced asking about availability - if you go back far enough in the forum history you will find a post from me asking about retrofitting patrol wings to the 4 place.

Comment

Mark Goldberg will there be plans/instructions to retrofit the pre-bravo QB fuesalage for the new bravo wings? Talking to someone that has a QB fuselage that has been sitting in the hangar for years - but would only be interested if I could easily retro fit it to take the Bravo Wing.
                    Last edited by corefile; 11-19-2016, 10:53 PM.

Comment

It won't be "easy", I'm afraid. The airfoil is a different shape and is fatter than the "A". The "Bearhawk Hump" will have to be changed (taller), and the doors and door openings are a smidge shorter.

Mark did a write up of the changes he had to make to his plane to adapt to the new wings. I'll see if I can track it down if nobody links to it before me.

Chris
                      Christopher Owens
                      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Chris, Post that link if you find it. It would be interesting to know. I don't think the top would be all the difficult to adapt but the shortening of the window/door opening would take some welding.
                        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Wayne Massey made a quick note of some of the changes he observed while flying Bravo here (post #7):

As you may have seen in the Bravo announcement thread, I was about to cut my first piece of aluminium on my scratch build 4 place when the announcement of the

it also jives with my discussion with Mark at OSH16. I haven't tracked down Mark's forum reply (unless I imagined it). But I'll keep looking.
                          Christopher Owens

Comment

It is completely doable, however. N404AP is a QB kit that has been retrofitted with Bravo wings. But it's been modified.
                            Christopher Owens

Comment

Working...
                            X