Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

customer survey sort of - or request for suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the kit builds easy enough, but there are some features that a lot of people want, that make building harder/longer because it turns into fabricating.

So one thing that would be great is changing the top of the airplane to accept a skylight or fabric, either by a kit that you weld on, or instructions for a bolt on, or something like that. I have a bit of time into my skylight, but I wouldn't build the airplane without it. Seeing over the wing, especially in the mountains is pretty important to me.

Another feature is a bracket to mount the electric trim servo to, like what Eric did so that there is an electric trim option that the builder doesn't need to fab himself.

Another thing that would be great is the option to order seaplane doors instead of the standard doors.

In other words, the slow down for me isn't the building, it's the modifying the build, which is why you always say build to plans, which makes sense, except skylight is super important, and seaplane doors are fantastic when on floats.

Thanks,
    schu

Comment

Originally posted by Tim213 View Post
      Mark,
      Drilling the wings to the fuselage was although not difficult, it was stressful trying to ensure wings were in proper position before drilling. Then with the wing struts I must have measured for the dihedral twenty times before drilling.
      I agree - this is a big deal if you get it wrong. Then again, it will be expensive to jig all those parts and pre-drill them.

To me, things like reaming holes and drilling miscellaneous holes (firewall, seats, etc) would not add value in my view. Those tasks are easy, there are few ways to get it wrong, and its possible to make simple repairs in most cases for the jobs which can go wrong.

Having a complete and correct hardware list, and more step-by-step instructions are probably the biggest room for improvement. Of course those are expensive / time consuming to produce.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post
        there are few ways to get it wrong
        Provided there are no hiccups, sure.

But you're right those weren't particularly challenging. Just a wish-list of things I'd rather have already done if we're "not close" to the 49%.
        Dave B.
        Plane Grips Co.
        www.planegrips.com

Comment

I suggest to add the “Float rear strut attachment” standard for all kit. They cost almost nothing to add at the factory.
          All BH models are excellent candidates for float flying. I know that a small portion will end up that way, but for prospective buyer of an already flying BH, having the float attachment in place is a big plus, in my opinion. Also, don’t forget the bottom fin attachment bracket too...
          Mike

Comment

Mark I just checked a few days ago. Your website for the 4 place kit still lists the float fittings as standard on all kits. That was why I assumed they were already installed.

Got the kit yesterday. Awesome and Mike was great and help me unpack the kit.

Comment

There is a way to use what has already been there forever to weld up a special float fitting. This is on all the 4 place kits. However, the float manufactures like a "standard" type float fitting which is different and what we are now supplying loose to be welded on. John - your kit has both. The new float fittings were welded on at the factory on your kit. Mark

Comment

Good to know that the “standard” type float fitting are now supplied already welded on.
                Mike

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                  Mark Goldberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is not what I was trying to say. The "standard" float fitting that was welded on at the factory is not done to every BH. It is a special order item. With so few Bearhawks on floats almost everyone would have to work around it or cut them off for fabric work. SVYOLO was just lucky that we had a fuselage with the float fittings already welded on at the factory in hopes a customer would want that. Mark

The "Made in Mexico" plaque affixed to the front of the fuselage. Make it a bit bigger, and nicer. Mine will be permanently mounted on the instrument panel, in a place of high visibility.

Comment

Mark,
                  My biggest obstacle to date would be the firewall and tunnel and tunnel bulkhead. Even with a background in machining and fabricating I still fought this for days? Once I got it figured out and fit the boot cowl to it I think it looks okay! Not perfect but okay.
                  Like others have mentioned the blue prints and builders manual have room for improvement....but also I've had to exercise the grey matter quite a bit and that's not a bad thing. I've networked with a couple other builders and that has helped a ton too.
                  I also appreciate your help and Quick call backs, its nice to have the support!

Comment

Hey Mark I might add drilling the 10-24 screw holes on the leading edge of the elevator balance. I made a "drilling jig" out of square tube to make it less risky but it would be fairly easy to screw up an elevator hand drilling these holes. I think I would drill them after bending the tube at the factory, but before welding them in the elevator jig.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                      Mark Goldberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We are going to look at a couple scenarios for making the placement of lead on the elevators easier. Bob has been changing his mind somewhat while discussing this. But I suspect we will be doing some change there that will be helpful. Mark

Actually drilling them was easier than I thought. I was expecting a lot more drama as the bit exited but it was almost non-existent.

Comment

• Archer39J
                      Archer39J commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Did you drill a through hole? I just put a flat spot on the inside wall with my Dremel then drilled, I forget for exactly what kind of screw. Seemed to work ok.

Mark---- as a first time builder--- I would love something like a 3-d cad file of certain parts like the wing spars, --- something we could put on the computer and rotate in all 3 dimensions
                    and zoom in and out. The spar has a LOT of stuff packed into a small space. For instance -- the plans don't visually show any of the back side of the spars. We have to kind of
                    calculate and infers where the parts stop and start and how they are lapped and where. Probably only a few places would need such a file. Something like a solidworks file but
                    another brand-- something that doesn't cost 20,000$ a copy. Maybe even something simple and freeware. The file could be done in such a way at it starts at the beginning with
                    the core piece of the spar--- and each piece -- from the center out is added in 3-D. You could look at each piece going on from any angle. The spar looks like to me-- the only intimidating
                    part of the whole plane. ( I could be wrong--- im just starting :-) ) as far as understanding the plans. Sometimes it like if I taught 2 semesters of college physics and ALL I told the
                    students to study and understand F=MA and Maxwells equations.
                    Don't know if something like that would be worth the time investment----- maybe it could be done like Linux...…
                    Tim

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                      Mark Goldberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Tim - what you are requesting are things that would help scratch builders. Purchasers of our Quick Build kits have all these parts completely done. So your thoughts might be best directed to Bob. Bob's daughter does some CAD work for him, and maybe he might ask her to do what you request. Mark

Thanks Mark--- its just one of those things like learning calculus--- at some point after I arrive there - I will have figured it out. was thinking of future scratch builders.
                    My first impressions of the spar pages in the plans was like looking down a bottomless pit :-)

You know Mark---- what MIGHT help a lot would be just a 3-rd drawing of the spar---- from an edge-on viewpoint. --- with the core piece missing---
                    so you could see all the front and rear cap strips - where each starts and stops and which ones are lapped over which other ones. The plans never
                    really show the back side---- so you kind of have to infer whats there from the dimensions. That just makes my head hurt :-)
                    T
                    Last edited by fairchild; 09-12-2018, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• JimParker256
                      JimParker256 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think what Mark is trying really hard to say (in a very diplomatic way) is that he isn't the source for the plans -- that's Bob's purview. So any suggestions about improving the plans should be sent Bob's way...

Meanwhile, Mark is asking what people would like to see improved in the KIT, which IS what he controls...

In the last month or two I hung the ailerons and flaps on one wing and closed one wing as well as some other things, mostly the doors. The factory made dimpled holes in the aileron and flap spars in the pocket area. I might skip having the factory drill/dimple these holes. Also the holes in the lower skin right below the aileron/ flap hinges might be left un-drilled, unless there is a structural reason to do so. Both required a lot of excess work after installing nut plates for the hinge mounts, and after thinking about it a lot, the only easy solution is to not have the factory drill them.

About a quarter of the holes interfered with the nut plates installed for the hinge plates. I didn't notice that part until it was to late. But it didn't matter, no matter where I installed the nut plates, it would have impacted other rivets on the flap/aileron spar. I was able to drive most of the remaining rivets with a gun instead of squeezing, but 2 rivets on one flap, I couldn't do. I used ccc-32 pop rivets. I couldn't find another solution.

Comment

Mark,

I haven’t purchased a kit yet (waiting for the thumbs up from the Mrs.) but we have exchanged emails a few times. As I wait to purchase I’ve been reading the forum and watching videos to help me prepare for the build. Perhaps you’ll appreciate the prospective of someone from the outside.

I would give another vote to the drilling of the wings at the factory. Anything that can be done in a controlled environment with a jig for exactness would ease my mind going into the build. Same for the firewall but from what I understand that is easier but still expensive if you mess up.

Someone earlier mentioned fiberglass. I would vote for these parts but I would add wingtips to the list. The wingtips seem to be a constant issue that I see in people’s build trying to get correct and something that you’ll notice right away looking at the airplane.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                      X