Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pull/push Controls or Quadrant below instrument panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull/push Controls or Quadrant below instrument panel

Hi,

My first forum communication! We are progressing well with a Quick Build 4 Place in Nelson, New Zealand.

I am finding the instrument panel a bit smaller than I would wish. I have seen pics of controls fitted below the panel. Have these proved to be hard on the knees in turbulence? I am thinking of either 3 push/pull controls or a quadrant being a little narrower but deeper. Has anybody any positive or adverse comments?

Thanks.

I answered Richard privately. Basically, a sub panel will interfere with stick travel. So best to avoid. One of those little changes that ends up causing problems later that you do not expect. Mark

Comment

Additionally, with what an EFIS based system can pack into the panel space of a Bearhawk, what more could one want?

Comment

Welcome Richard!

I would add, if you ever decide to extend the flap handle, then you need all the space you can get under the panel.
        Knees, control sticks, and flap handles all vie for the same space down there.
        It seems cavernous when you stand by the plane looking at it - but when you're on short finals in a crosswind, with two tall people aboard, it seems like Bob made it no bigger than it needed to be.

Making the panel higher is a much better option. For a man of your stature, you could add 6 or 8 inches to the middle of the panel without blocking your view at any stage of the flight. Looking around the nose is important, so I wouldn't square the corners of the panel any more than absolutely necessary.

Comment

IMG_0509.JPG

You can get all this in standard panel - just takes a bit of planning ......

Comment

• AKKen07
            AKKen07 commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe I am just missing perspective on the size of your Dynon Paul. Zack is using about 8” boxes but he mentioned that he couldn’t get the 10” version in when I saw him. Is that closer to an 8” box or Zack - were you referring specifically to a different brand?

• zkelley2
            zkelley2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah ya, so the 10" GRT HXr would not fit vertically in the bearhawk panel. The lower steel tube is in the way to go lower. If you mounted it in the middle of the panel it'd probably fit since the top of the panel isn't sloping down like on the sides. The depth is no issue at all. I haven't tested, but I suspect the GRT 10.1 would fit since it's a bit longer in the horizontal and shorter in the vertical than the HXr.

• AKKen07
            AKKen07 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I know I'm way behind the last post but I'll post some pics of my panel anyway. If it doesn't help you maybe it will help someone else.

I put cutouts in my panel for both pilot and copilot control stick. I have push pull controls and I made cutouts for each control along with cabin heat and the primer which are all mounted to their own piece of panel and then screwed to the main panel. The idea here is to be able to pull the control panel without having to remove the control cables. I also cut my control sticks about 1 3/4" each to clear the panel.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• zkelley2
            zkelley2 commented
            Editing a comment
            I really like that. I would highly suggest lengthening the flap handle and making sure that works with it as mentioned above. The force required to get full flaps, even down at 45kts is really high, I suspect higher than 50lbs which is the certification limit of 1 hand control in the fore and aft direction. Next flight test, maybe I'll take a scale.
            Last edited by zkelley2; 01-11-2020, 09:34 PM.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice - I love the TOGA switch !

Now you’ve got me going. What does it do Nico? Command a certain pitch attitude or speed, or??

By the way guys, I had the good fortune to view Nico’s plane the day the covering started going on and it’s magnificent! I wish I had videoed everything, nose to tail from every possible angle. I find the video I did take was much more useful to me than photos for understanding construction details. in future, I will take my time and do a better job of videoing any Bearhawks I come across in any stage of construction.,

Comment

9283C44D-E971-4A68-AEE4-D0118BD708BF.png It is a tight fit, but good planing will give you space for whatever you need, here is my analog panel.

Comment

• PaulSA
              PaulSA commented
              Editing a comment
              Seriously old school! Glad to see you have left space for a GPS screen though ......
          Working...
          X