Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Data plate location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data plate location

Hi, I’m struggling to decide where to mount the data plate, some folks are telling me that to comply with the AC it needs to be mounted externally so it’s visible without entry to the aircraft, others are saying internally is fine. Any thoughts appreciated. Model 4 B.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Bissetg; 08-06-2021, 03:44 PM.

Grant - you need to please the NZ authorities who will inspect your plane. Not the guys on this forum. I would ask the CAA where it needs to be before you place it anywhere. Mark

Comment

Mark, where does it go in the US to please the FAA?
      N678C
      https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
      Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Comment

I put mine under the horizontal stabilizer onnthe side of the fuselage, having embedded a piece of aluminum in the fabric for it to sit on.

Comment

Thanks Guys, given the short time it takes to attach the plate, I think Marks idea of waiting for the inspector to tell me where he wants it is a good one.

Jared, I’m impressed you thought so far ahead on your build to make provision for it. Sadly, I’m not that smart and like a few things on this project have ended up with my finger on my chin wondering why I didn’t think about it before.

Comment

Grant, having a mate with a laser etching business might be helpful here

Regarding the placement, I spoke with a couple of locals. They thought the requirement to locate the data plate externally was a hangover from the early years, small tight cramped cockpits. They said theirs were all located inside their aircraft.
              Nev Bailey
              Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
              YouTube - Build and flying channel
              Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Reference FAA advisory circular AC 45-2E for the locations recommended by the FAA. Perhaps the CAA has a similar AC?

Comment

If I recall correctly, in NZ it does not need to be externally visible, but it does have a different range of wierd and wonderful requirements to comply with!

Remember, you manufactured this plane, and you maybe you manufactured the engine if it has no data plate from Bob Barrows. Or you can create a data plate for Bob, which is what I did.

From the CARs:

21.803 Identification of aircraft, aircraft engines, and propellers
                  (a) Each person who manufactures an aircraft or aircraft engine under Part 148 shall identify the aircraft or engine by means of a fireproof data plate that is —

(1) marked with the identification information prescribed in 21.805 by etching, stamping, engraving, or other method of fireproof marking; and

(2) secured in such a manner that it is not likely to be—
                  (i) defaced or removed during normal service; or
                  (ii) lost or destroyed in an accident; and

(3) for an aircraft other than a manned free balloon, secured to the fuselage so that it is legible to a person on the ground—
                  (i) at an accessible location near an entrance; or
                  (ii) externally on another part of the fuselage; and

(4) for an aircraft engine, secured to the engine at an accessible location;

Rule 21.805 says the dataplate on any item must include
                  (1) the manufacturer's name; and
                  (2) the model designation; and
                  (3) the manufacturer's serial number; and
                  (4) if applicable, the type certificate or type acceptance certificate number; and
                  (5) if applicable, the manufacturing organisation certificate number or foreign equivalent; and
                  (6) for an aircraft engine, the established rating; and
                  (7) any other information that the Director may require.

I put mine inside the door frame just in case my inspector disagreed with me. You can see it through the window from the outside, if needs be. This passed inspection.

Bissetg
                  Nev
                  SimonNicholson
                  Last edited by Battson; 08-11-2021, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jon, appreciated.
                    Nev Bailey
                    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                    YouTube - Build and flying channel
                    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Thanks Jon, I had a visit from the CAA today, just a casual Gidday. Seems from that conversation there isn’t a lot clarity around some of these matters. Will try and engage with the inspecting officer and resolve before he arrives.

Comment

Working...
                      X