Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a lengthy layoff from Patrol work due to a fully torn rotator cuff (argument with a mountainside in Ecuador... the mountain won as they usually do) and a fun bit of surgery to reattach with lengthy rehab, back at it this weekend with another new Patrol builder out of my home field (KFDK - Frederick Municipal, MD). Worked on some flap weldments and a bit of strategerizing on further collaboration. Nice to have a very experienced rag, tube, and sheet metal guy around (Bronze Lindy for his radial-engined bipe, and a lovely Mustang 2 in his hanger). Never 'misunderestimate' the value of teamwork, right? My homework is to finish these up and fab some additional frame brackets, which is within current physical limits. Thinking I will like TIG versus OA - especially for the small stuff. Truth in advertising... I watched the welding to get the technique down and did some fab work (first time in someone else's work space is always a watch/learn/try not to break anything). Will get some hands-on once I fab some trial stuff before tackling my ail/flap frames and smaller weldments.

Should be at Bob's this October for the fly-in, either in the Hatz or the Aircam if weather cooperates, and cameras in hand. IMG_4701.jpg

Last edited by SpruceForest; 09-26-2023, 06:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
      ...The paint booth air system is also working very well. Air movement through the booth is moved by an exhaust fan and exits outside using an elephant trunk with no filter. I learned that Exhaust Filters clog quickly with overspray and create a severe health hazard, so no filter is a good design I think.
      Nice. What are you using for an exhaust fan and how are you dealing with paint build up on same?

Comment

• I used a Vevor utility blower fan. The trunk and the fan were purchased as a unit. It’s well built but loud.

To prevent paint buildup on the blower I sprayed the unit with spray silicone before I used it. So far so good but it’s been about six sessions of small parts. This serves as a good reminder to inspect the fan blades and clean them prior to spraying the wings. My hope is If I have build up on the blades that it comes off easily due to the silicone.
        Last edited by Bcone1381; 09-26-2023, 02:11 PM.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• I've been trying to find a reliable source of materials for the scratch built Model 5 here in the Middle East - possibly from Australia or China? Or is the U.S. my best bet? Now I gotta go to work...

Comment

• IMG_0531.jpg

I had three days at home between trips. I need 70f (21c) to shoot paint, it’s now October and I’m concerned about paint & shop temperature. My paint booth conflicts with my shop’s ceiling mounted tube heater. So I hustled and got the first wing painted yesterday. It took one day to etch and prime the whole wing. The next day I sprayed the wings bottom aft of the lap joint seam about 10” aft of the leading edge, On day three I painted the leading edge and top of the wing.

I don’t like having a time constraint when I build. It worked though. Hopefully I can get the left wing paint before it gets too cold when I’m back.

I’m using Stewart’s System. I’ve never painted before building the Patrol. I went to a class and I constantly re-read the manual and product literature. I’m feeling more confident and seeing better results than when I started.

I see no drips. Minimal orange peel. A rotisserie is a highly valued tool. It’s beyond “nice.” I do a better job with less effort. When painting that pays huge dividends. Get a hold of a good one that can adapt to the fuselage and the wing.
            Last edited by Bcone1381; 10-03-2023, 06:18 PM. Reason: Added text
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Last Friday was main and aft spar bend day at a local industrial sheet metal shop… a 12’ shear and 12’ knife brake are wonderful things. Will have to tweak flange angle, but not too difficult.
              IMG_0057.jpg

Sat PM and Sunday was fab of the remaining flap and aileron frame brackets and start of welding them up.

IMG_0056.jpg

1/3 of my spar bench is busy masquerading as a printer bench in the garage, but will be reverting to primary use once I figure out where the snow blower goes… who parks a snowblower in the middle of a perfectly good shop?

IMG_0059.jpg

Comment

• rodsmith
                rodsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                That is some beautiful welding.

• ... which I would love to take credit for, but primarily the work of my build-buddy, Carlo. Also the reason why I am swapping over to TIG... when you have a serial tube builder handy for welding instruction, you go with his approach and consider the cost for the swap to be cheap tuition. Carlo gets the benefit of all the jigs and fixtures plus rubber press and flow-forming technique for ribs. I don't feel too bad - probably saved him an easy 200 hours on templates and forms, and having two heads to work through some of the fuzzy spots in the plans is useful.

Comment

• Bcone1381
                Bcone1381 commented
                Editing a comment
                Build buddies like that are an EAB Industry Best Standard!

• Finished fiberglass air intake for Patrol. Used a rebuilt Husky air box which fits the Patrol perfectly. IMG_0122.jpg

Comment

• Chewie
                Chewie commented
                Editing a comment
                Great idea. I'll keep that in mind!

• DBeaulieu
                DBeaulieu commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks good Bruce!

• I reminded myself of why I am building… Carlo’s Hatz running a Rotec radial… did some streamer cuts after this… nice way to spend a mid-Fall evening with summer temps. Did get my Swag finger brake running on my 20
              ton press after finishing the last of Carlo’s ribs. Should let me get the last of the 4130 stuff out for the wings.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Got the MLG on for initial install, finished balance tubes for ailerons and started access panels on second wing.

20231104_154626.jpg 20231104_172512.jpg

Comment

• I installed tires a few days ago and serviced the brakes with hydraulic fluid. That was my first time ever doing it. A LSA builder near me along with the Koehler Brothers on EAA’s hints for home builders gave me insight into tire removal and brake servicing/bleeding.
                  IMG_0628.jpg IMG_0629.jpg

Today I’m installing Vista-Vents as part of the cabin heat and air conditioning system. I used these on a Cessna C-140 once upon a time and liked them.
                  IMG_0638.jpg IMG_0641.png
                  Last edited by Bcone1381; 11-09-2023, 07:37 PM. Reason: Updated photos
                  Brooks Cone
                  Southeast Michigan
                  Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Installed the windshield yesterday. One more step forward..

20231110_162420.jpg 20231110_175758.jpg 20231110_175845.jpg

Comment

• Finally installed the tailpipe support system while contemplating my fuel flow issues. The stainless tubes that Clint sent with the exhaust system were too short. There is only supposed to be a 1/4" gap between tubes inside the hose. I bought 4' of 3/8th stainless tubing to complete it. I like this system as it is supported by the engine, not the airframe or engine mount.

DSCF2233.jpg

Comment

• I have a very similar setup ( io-360) from Clint but I did not know about the inside gap limitation. Is that stainless tubing commonly available?
                        Brooks Cone
                        Southeast Michigan
                        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• rodsmith
                          rodsmith commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The 1/4" gap is detailed on the Van's instruction sheet for this setup. I bought the tubing on onlinemetals.com.

• I riveted nut plates. Lots of them!
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                        X