Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished cutting flap ribs, although I have a few I plan to redo due to human malfunction.

BBQ ribs are great, but wing ribs are pretty cool, too. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/05/d3428b6c9b82131199d7085d5e61be25.jpg Getting the aft ribs
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Mounted the 8.50x6 tires on the wheels, and then got the wheels on the Patrol fuselage. So now it is finally sitting on its own feet! Finally able to put away the sawhorses and can move it around the shop. Still working on the brakes, but it is actually easier to work on it this way than how it was before.
      Jim Parker
      Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
      RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Mounted a new steering arm on the rudder for the T3 Suspension. We've nicknamed this one the "bat wing". The bearhawk factory guys nicknamed the OEM arm the "mustache" I'm told by Mark. This is a simple modification that requires bending the mustache horizontal, then cutting off the end of the arms where they hit the spring mounting plate, then bolting on the bat wing. Tomorrow, I'll hook up the new steering system for the suspension. Not that it is needed, in fact, I find it easier to handle on the ground without steering, at least in calm winds. In a heavier taildragger like the 4-place Bearhawk, most of the steering is by differential braking anyway.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Got to do some wood work tonight. Brent had me use some templates he made up for the airfoil wood ribs for the tail. I was transferring them and then cutting them out on a bandsaw. I think this is the only wood that will actually go into the plane.

Comment

Installed seat pans in the front seat. Although my wife liked the Husky, she wasn't fond of acces to the rear seat. Actually, no one is fond of that access. My initial selling pitch, for the Patrol, was that I could make a folding front seat back, to give much better entry/egress. Pictures attached.

Bill
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• interstate al
              interstate al commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent!

• Bdflies
              Bdflies commented
              Editing a comment
              I attached the pans with MSP-42 rivets. I can't imagine why I'd ever need to remove the pans, so screws weren't necessary. Besides, the stainless rivets hold really well!
              The reflection of the aluminum panels makes it hard to photograph progress. I've discarded a bunch of pictures because I can't understand what they are, even after taking them...

• lsa140
              lsa140 commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent, thanks for posting this. I will be doing something similar.

Yesterday, I mounted the firewall to the fuselage using nutplates and machine screws, after fitting to the engine mount holes. I did it that way in case I ever need to remove it for any reason. Also riveted the "station B" former for the tunnel into place.
            Jim Parker
            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• JimParker256
              JimParker256 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, after trying to figure out how the heck that tunnel piece was going to fit between the firewall and the station B former, the light-bulb went on, and I realized I had installed the former backwards, with the flange facing forward instead of aft. Doh! I must have read those instructions a dozen times, and still misunderstood.
              So I watched a video on EAA website on how to remove SS pulled rivets, and it was only about a 20-minute job to drill out the rivets, reverse the former, and re-rivet. Now the tunnel piece fits (tightly) in there and it all makes sense.

Drilled more spar capstrips last night. They are now all drilled a couple sizes under. Next, attach all to the spars and finish drill, then debur. And drill all the spacers.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickh99
              Drilled more spar capstrips last night. They are now all drilled a couple sizes under. Next, attach all to the spars and finish drill, then debur. And drill all the spacers.
              Almost ditto here!
              Mark
              Scratch building Patrol #275
              Hood River, OR

Comment

Fitting Hor stabs and elevators
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Laying out and drilling spar web
                  This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Im almost ashamed too say this, but I took off the plastic wrap off a finished quick-build wing an riveted the the reinforcement to the fuel tank opening.
                    Please, no wus related remarks!!!

Comment

• Bdflies
                      Bdflies commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wus? You've gotta be kidding! Before you fly, you're going to complete a LOT of tasks.
                      Now, don't get me wrong. I have ultimate respect for anyone who produces a flying aircraft, from a set of plans! But, building 51% of a plane is a big deal. And you're gonna love every minute of it!

• patrickh99
                      patrickh99 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey, don't apologize; taking that plastic off can be really difficult!!!

(sorry, I just could not resist! I'm jealous that I don't have QB wings)

I built rudder cables last weekend. And Monday replaced the front cables with strips made from 14ga 304 stainless. My Interstate has a similar set up and I thought it seemed a bit cleaner? Plus eliminated 2 bolts and nuts per side.
                    After the rudder strips/cables I started gluing the Deco Dot material down on the flooring. The front 3 pcs are installed, temporarily, the other is glued up and on the bench with plywood and weight holding it down.
                    I hope to soon have the fuselage on the rotisserie and start on the tunnel, boot cowl and skylight roof modification, etc., etc.
                    This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

I finally got to start drilling the spar web with the cap strips and spacers

Patrick H
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sometimes you just to have to make order out of chaos. Shop cleaning was the order of the day. Before/After:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Christopher Owens
                        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• lsa140
                          lsa140 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I need to do the same, looking good.

Not sure I'm going to be able to fit the intake in there without modifying the nose bowl.

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• John Bickham
                          John Bickham commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hey Jon,
                          Thanks for the pics. I'm a few steps behind you. I was curious re your firewall. Did you use shaped aluminum angle (5052?) for the flange on the firewall??

thanks too much

• whee
                          whee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I use angle purchased from the aviation section at Home Depot. It is 6063 and worked good. Trouble is it needs to be bent past 90* which may prove difficult.

• John Bickham
                          John Bickham commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Jon. Hadn't thought about the bend past 90 deg. Makes sense when you think about the angle from the instrument panel to the nosebowl. That will help when I get there.
                      Working...
                      X