Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My windows are fabricated except for paint and final assembly. I thought some might like to see some detail of the interface between the former, the rear window frame, Acrylic, and window overlap.

The third photo shows the trim that holds the rear window in place. It has a joggle to accommodate the 1/4" from window overlap. The fourth photo lines on the former show where the rear window glass, the front window overlap, and the space for the joggle would be. The last photo....if I did it again, I would extend the top window frame forward anbohter 1/2 inch. I Cut the darn thing twice but it was still too short!!!
    Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.02.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.01.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.01.45 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.01.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.01.28 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.11.57 AM.png
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Today I worked on the skylight frame. I’m planning a single large skylight, so starting with the new 4-place Bravo factory frame, I’ve modified it by moving the two center top retainers to the outside edges where I’ll rivet them to the formers once the acrylic is in place. It’ll be captured around all outside edges, and bonded to the two center longitudinal frames.

EC0688D6-AD44-403E-832F-EF7F128EBA85.jpeg
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• 16 days and everything covered in fabric! Now polybrush and the chore of stitching and finishing tapes
        Last edited by Gary Wallace; 11-28-2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• rodsmith
          rodsmith commented
          Editing a comment
          That's great progress Gary!

• Started the bottom skin and fuel tank cover of the second wing
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        Scott Ahrens
        Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

• I'm a bit behind you Scott. Getting ready to tack weld the wing jig.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

• BravoGolf
            BravoGolf commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks great. I think you have your flaps and ailerons done and I haven't even started those.

• Today these turned up on the doorstep. Finally.

D28261B1-5694-468E-9045-1159897A9AB7.jpeg
          22FB7F82-4D3B-443D-9D23-D4C5E119C050.jpeg

Attached Files
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• I looked at youre post , and workwd on a sand blst and paint booth

Comment

• For those of you scratch building, I cobbled together a handy little jig for tack welding the 4,000,006 tabs on the fuselage.

I use two pieces of scrap .032 aluminum. I cut a hole in one of them, then riveted the two pieces together offset by the thickness of the steel tabs I am putting on (.040). I then used a hot glue gun to stick two rare earth magnets to the angle that will sit on the fuselage tube. A magnet was then glued underneath where the tab to be welded is positioned. I then just put the jig on the tube where I want the tab, tack weld the tab, take the jig off, and finish weld it. It works upside down, right side up, sideways, etc.

Now, given that the magnets are held on with hot glue, this probably wouldn't last long if you are using oxy, but if you are using TIG, it works a treat.

TabJig1.jpg

TabJig2.jpg

TabJig3.jpg

TabJig4.jpg
              -------------------
              Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
              Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
              RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

• 817Q-xG4TgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I found this product on amazon
                Attached Files
                Stan
                Austin Tx

Comment

• rv8bldr
                  rv8bldr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, THAT would have been easier :-)

• Chewie
                  Chewie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hahaha! Sign of the times... Invent something, then 5 minutes later go buy it.

• rv8bldr
                  rv8bldr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ....I'm not sure I waited a whole 5 minutes...

• Sand blasted my airframe using used B60 blasting sand, it gives a softer blast for a real satin finish. Painted with a coat of edge primer with a anti rust and then the hardener based undercoat.
                Attached Files

Comment

• rodsmith
                  rodsmith commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good job to have behind you, I did not enjoy the sand blasting but couldn't believe how high the quotes were to farm it out.

• davzLSA
                  davzLSA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  that looks good, I need to do that again to my fuse, but Im sneaking up on it.

• For sure, it cost an arm and a leg to send it away for blasting, Its done, next up is top coat

Comment

• Whew!!! Big accomplishment. Ive been extremely busy..solo. 7 weeks ago i started covering. Poly Fiber processs. Just finished last tape and all ironing and inspection rings..squares. i am officially ready to start spraying poly brush etc. Have to rig up garage for the next process. I feel like i accomplished a lot...till i think of the next steps. Poly brush, spray, and paint.....i need a week or two to lose my buzz from the chemicals so i can think straight.
                  Last edited by Gary Wallace; 01-05-2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• Hey Gary, I’d love to see some photos. I’m at the same stage - just logged on to post the same thing ! I’m interested to know how you’re going to do the spraying etc. will you rig up a spray booth in your shed ? Or do it outside ?
                    Nev Bailey
                    Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• Ill be using the garage im thinking. Cover the floor , remove everything. Cover windows with clear plastic. Exhaust fan out window..makeup air from house walk up door from basement. Gonna be a real sh@# show. Want to utilize as much space as possible.

Comment

• Today I started painting! Feels like a big step to finally get started on the stuff that people will actual see. The $400 spray booth is working well so far...
                        This gallery has 5 photos.
                        4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
                        IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

Working...
                        X