Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O-360 oil coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O-360 oil coolers

After having to cut my first three flights short(15-20 minutes each) due to high oil temperature I am relocating my oil cooler. Moving it from the firewall to the baffling to improve air flow. So my question is to those running an O-360, where do you have your oil cooler and how many row cooler are you using? I currently have a seven row which works well on my 200 HP IO-360 in my Beech Sierra. Hopefully I can solve my high oil temp and get back to flying. The plane flies nice and behaves well.

Thanks,
    Gene Seiter
    N75KJ- kit 4 place- flying-just not very long.

Oil temp issues aren't fun. I liked this location.

A scoop was put on it after I took this pic because we were having cooling issues. Doing so work but we later found an underlying issue that was causing high temps so I don't think the scoop was actually needed.

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Hi Gene, I hope you are able to sort things out with less difficulty than me. I started with a 7-row on the baffle, then went to a 9-row on the baffle, then moved it to the firewall, then a 13-row on the firewall, and now an 11-row HE series on the firewall. I've only had a few flights on the latest version, so it's too soon to claim victory, but things are looking better. I think mine has run hot in part because of the proximity of the exhaust pipes to the sump. I have a 13-row drawn cup type of cooler available if you decide you need to try one of those. I followed the usual advice of first verifying that the oil actually is getting as hot as is indicated, and verifying that the vernatherm is operating correctly. If you need any help with doing those things, feel free to ask. I hope you'll send us a photo of your plane for the 2017 Bearhawk Calendar (via email to web@bearhawkstore.com), which we will start putting together in a few weeks.

Comment

Thanks Jared. The oil cooler and the oil sump temps were both the same. So the vernatherm is working and the sump temp pretty much matched the oil temp gauge. I have a crossover exhaust that passes in front of the oil sump so I probably have a similar situation. Bob recommended the front baffle with an 11 or 9 row cooler. 101_3038.JPG

Comment

9 row on the front baffle just as shown in whee's picture, haven't had any issues but it's rarely above the 80's at altitude around here, usually more like the 60's this time of year. Temps stay from 180 to 205 summer and winter, I do put a block plate on in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
            Oil temp issues aren't fun. I liked this location.

A scoop was put on it after I took this pic because we were having cooling issues. Doing so work but we later found an underlying issue that was causing high temps so I don't think the scoop was actually needed.
            My God....

I can see the temperature problem alright, look at those baffles....

With a "bubble" of high pressure sitting air atop the engine, most of the cooling air flowing into the cowl would be lost; around the gear ring, under the front of that baffle. Those are colossal gaps between the cowl and the baffle. Air would just be flowing under the engine, through the cowl and slowing the plane down.

I am assuming that was before you starting working on it, of course.
            Last edited by Battson; 08-24-2016, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I think there is something to putting it in the front if you have room up there. When I did some air pressure testing I found that I was losing a lot of my air pressure just in getting the air to the firewall mounted cooler. Also, how hot is yours getting currently?

Comment

On my 4 place with a 540 I had very good results mounting my oil cooler on the engine mount just aft of the right rear upper baffle. I made a 3" hole in the baffle with a scat tube connecting to an aluminum pyramid sort of shaped "plenum" that feeds the cooling air across the whole face of the oil cooler. Lots of room on the engine mount with a 4 cyl installation. Just an option. Mark

Comment

Jared-I throw in the towel at 225 and end up topping out around 230 or a bit more when I reduce power to land. I think I can fit a 10 row Aeroclassic in front.
                  Battson- Those aren't pictures of my airplane, mine is Daytona White & Blue and the CHTs are all even in the low 300s
                  Mark- That would probably work- need to pull the cowling and ponder it some more.
                  Thanks to all for your inputs

Gene

Comment

So, I’ve just started the test flying on a 4B, 200 HP Lycoming O 360. My experience was a replica of Gseiter. High oil temps limiting flight time to 15 mins. After tearing everything apart we found the spin on filter adapter we a replaced the rock catcher with had no bypass valve, fixing that lowered the difference between sump temp and cooler temp from 40C to 6 C so now we know the oil is going through the cooler. We then changed the RAM intake from 3 inch to 4 inch, temps now as per Lycoming operating manual of circa 82C. Problem solved. Cooler is 11 element. Pic of amended setup attached.

I’ve read quite a bit about oil temp problems with Bearhawks. This solution worked well for me.

A5130AD6-D88B-4917-AA2D-6A621267FC32.jpg
                    Last edited by Bissetg; 11-09-2021, 02:48 AM.

Comment

I'd sure like to know more about your plane and testing, you are the first B that I know of with the smaller engine. Sounds like a fantastic Beartracks article and I'm also intrigued by your paint scheme!

Comment

Hi Jared, paint scheme is a simple philosophy, too many years of aviation have dulled my hearing so I’m hoping other folks will see and avoid me. The engine choice was made after a discussion with Bob around power to weight and handling characteristics. I fretted for a while that I should have gone with a 540 rather than 360 but I have to say this aeroplane is absolutely delightful to fly. Beautifully balanced on the controls and just plain enjoyable to fly. I almost bought a Patrol kit, then decided The 200 HP 4B gave me more options for a similar input, I’m thrilled with the result aerodynamically. I have two friends with O540 4A models, they are great machines but my preference is the lighter setup.
                        Last edited by Bissetg; 11-12-2021, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gseiter View Post
                          After having to cut my first three flights short(15-20 minutes each) due to high oil temperature I am relocating my oil cooler. Moving it from the firewall to the baffling to improve air flow. So my question is to those running an O-360, where do you have your oil cooler and how many row cooler are you using? I currently have a seven row which works well on my 200 HP IO-360 in my Beech Sierra. Hopefully I can solve my high oil temp and get back to flying. The plane flies nice and behaves well.

Thanks,
                          Gene Seiter
                          N75KJ- kit 4 place- flying-just not very long.
                          I hope my Aero Classic 7 row drawn cup oil cooler is sufficient for my Parallel Valve IO-360. It wont fit in front of #2 cylinder using the nose bowl for the Hartzell spinner. I'm using the Vans baffle kit, and mounting it behind Cylinder #3 IAW the Baffle Kit. This cooler and the baffle kit is a bolt on fit.
                          Brooks Cone
                          Southeast Michigan
                          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Bissetg View Post
                            So, I’ve just started the test flying on a 4B, 200 HP Lycoming O 360. My experience was a replica of Gseiter. High oil temps limiting flight time to 15 mins. After tearing everything apart we found the spin on filter adapter we a replaced the rock catcher with had no bypass valve, fixing that lowered the difference between sump temp and cooler temp from 40C to 6 C so now we know the oil is going through the cooler. We then changed the RAM intake from 3 inch to 4 inch, temps now as per Lycoming operating manual of circa 82C. Problem solved. Cooler is 11 element. Pic of amended setup attached.

I’ve read quite a bit about oil temp problems with Bearhawks. This solution worked well for me.
                            Help me understand. With no bypass valve, I think you mean there was no Vernatherm and so there was no control of oil volume going to the cooler. I think this means lots of oil was bypassing the cooler, going back to the engine giving you high temperatures.

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 12.33.01 PM.png
                            Brooks Cone
                            Southeast Michigan
                            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Hi Brooks, I believe it’s the oil relief valve to the right on the diagram.
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X