Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covering Interior Pro / Con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering Interior Pro / Con

I am getting real close and am debating myself as to whether I want to cover the interior sides and ceiling in the rear. Would appreciate comments as to pros and cons of this task

Everyone has their own opinions about these kind of details so I would do whatever you think is best. I don't like how interior fabric looks, doesn't provide thermal or sound insulation and makes the cabin feel smaller. However, I don't think there is a lighter method for protecting the exterior fabric from interior damage.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Whee is right about the choice being a personal opinion thing. I prefer the look of solid panels, over interior fabric. Also, I wanted access to fuel lines and pulleys that would be hidden behind the fabric. I'm sure the fabric is the lightest option, short of no interior treatment at all.

Bill

Comment

Pro's-protects exterior, adds sound proofing if you layer inside panel with lightweight insulation as well as hot/cold insulation and if you do it right it looks great and adds tons of ramp appeal and your wife/girlfriend will love it. We used corregated plastic sign board and all Panals are removable, another pro.

Cons-can add weight

Comment

I favour interior fabric, here's why:

- It looks a lot more professional and "finished" than bare tube fuse showing.
          - It greatly improves passenger confidence. People are used to planes *appearing* thick-walled and more solid than you and I know they really are.
          - Protects external skin from damage - this is a big one. Once that "new plane feel" wears off, you start loading the baggage area with less regard.
          - Much easier (less work) to install and vastly lighter than other internal covering options (e.g. Kydex)

Comment

I used dope and fabric along with upholstery on the interior. A bearhawk can be a drafty aircraft. Using the dope and fabric helps to improve your heating for winter operation.

Comment

I covered the interior. Like Battson said, there is some slight damage to the fabric (scratches) in the baggage area. Much better than being on the exterior fabric. I also prefer it to the "unfinished" look of nothing on the interior.
              Russ Erb
              Bearhawk #164 "Three Sigma" (flying), Rosamond CA
              Bearhawk Reference CD
              http://bhcd.erbman.org

Comment

Personally, I'm trying to build as light as possible, so no interior on mine. I "might" use line the baggage area sides and back with something lightweight to protect the fabric, but the jury is still out on that one. Thinking perhaps that extremely light, but amazingly strong corrugated plastic stuff (looks like cardboard, but made of plastic) that they use for larger-sized RC airplanes. Available and inexpensive at Lowe's Aviation Dept...
                Jim Parker
                Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I went all the way, its heavier, but it the way I like to have it
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• davzLSA
                    davzLSA commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That really look good but I would have to really think about the weight. I guess that depends on your mission?

Originally posted by Gerhard Rieger View Post
                  Is there a backing to the covering, very interested in replicating this.

Comment

032 aluminum backing for all panels with lightening holes. I have the weight written down somewhere.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by way_up_north View Post

Is there a backing to the covering, very interested in replicating this.
                      Gerhard has created an awesome interior that looks great and will be the envy of many. However, if you are hoping to install a usable 3rd row there are certain concessions that will be required. A gorgeous interior will be one of those concessions. These airplanes really aren't 5-place airplanes but if we are going to attempt to use them as such we need to have realistic expectations.

My interior is 3/8” thick closed cell foam. I like how it looks, it should provide some insulation to the interior and some protection to the exterior fabric, it is fairly light, easily and cheaply replaceable.

Last edited by whee; 12-11-2018, 12:52 PM.
                      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Whee, that is a great idea. If you have a few panels that are a bit big and unsupported, you can always us some 1" fiberglass or carbon tape in a "tic-tac-toe" pattern on both sides to stiffen it up for little weight or cost.

You want really cheap, light, and low budget? Their are foam RC models that use unidirectional fiberglass packing tape as spar caps on the solid foam wing.

It would do the same thing in your application.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerhard Rieger View Post
                          What was the source for your fabric interior..is it off the shelf product or your own creation? It looks great. It’s time the Bearhawk got the tuxedo trim level

we could call yours the Rolls Royce upgrade..

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
                            Gerhard Rieger commented
                            Editing a comment
                            This is my own creation. I want the aircraft to have a 40/50' feel to it.

Originally posted by whee View Post

Gerhard has created an awesome interior that looks great and will be the envy of many. However, if you are hoping to install a usable 3rd row there are certain concessions that will be required. A gorgeous interior will be one of those concessions. These airplanes really aren't 5-place airplanes but if we are going to attempt to use them as such we need to have realistic expectations.

My interior is 3/8” thick closed cell foam. I like how it looks, it should provide some insulation to the interior and some protection to the exterior fabric, it is fairly light, easily and cheaply replaceable.

I’m collecting some images and information to submit to Bob Barrows... it’s in regards to placing a fuel tank in front of the spar.
                          The tank may be aux tanks or smaller mains...it would assist moving the cg envelope forward.

Might be be possible to take full advatage of the Bearhawks heavy lifting abilities and not blow the cg limits

Comment

Working...
                          X